Why are Macs "better" for recording/mixing?

Though a new computer is a few years down the road (when MS drops Win 10 support), I keep checking out the Mac Mini, thinking one day to switch all my computing from Windows to Mac. The current prices on the low end M1 models are more affordable. I wouldn't need larger RAM or SSD storage, just happy with 8 Core, 8GB & 256GB.

I have to admit also, the "new toy" attraction is there, and the excitement of learning a new system. Those are a big pull.

+1 to that.
I moved to M1 when they came out. I did opt for 16gb, mostly due it being new tech and not being sure, but I think, now, 8gb would have been sufficient.
I did opt for the smallest storage, though. That made sense to me.
USB-C connected SSD is plenty fast, and I've always kept system and longer term storage separate anyway, so 256gb internal was just fine.

Though a new computer is a few years down the road (when MS drops Win 10 support), I keep checking out the Mac Mini, thinking one day to switch all my computing from Windows to Mac. The current prices on the low end M1 models are more affordable. I wouldn't need larger RAM or SSD storage, just happy with 8 Core, 8GB & 256GB.

I have to admit also, the "new toy" attraction is there, and the excitement of learning a new system. Those are a big pull.

I'd suggest opting for the 16GB of memory and 512GB version for $200 more. I maxed out mine but mostly because I use it for video editing. Seriously considering turning one of the spare bedrooms into a video only setup with the new mac studio with M1max instead of ultra to gain more thunderbolt ports and 10G networking. I am building the family archive of old videos and along with my 4k camera footage, am going through terabytes of storage space at an alarming rate. Might be time to add a large NAS to help the workflow.

The biggest hurdle for me in transitioning from PC was figuring out libraries and storage with Final Cut Pro. Also, recently when I decided to purge the Slate plug in library, finding where they were to delete them as I got rid of the subscription.

I'd suggest opting for the 16GB of memory and 512GB version for $200 more. I maxed out mine but mostly because I use it for video editing. Seriously considering turning one of the spare bedrooms into a video only setup with the new mac studio with M1max instead of ultra to gain more thunderbolt ports and 10G networking. I am building the family archive of old videos and along with my 4k camera footage, am going through terabytes of storage space at an alarming rate. Might be time to add a large NAS to help the workflow.

The biggest hurdle for me in transitioning from PC was figuring out libraries and storage with Final Cut Pro. Also, recently when I decided to purge the Slate plug in library, finding where they were to delete them as I got rid of the subscription.
I'd have to hold off on the 16GB memory - that's +$200 on top of an additional +$200 for 512GB = $1099.00. That's over my head, though I could stretch for the 512GB alone @ $899.00 if I had to buy today. Adding the 512GB internal or using the 256GB and adding external SSDs could all wind up being roughly the same prices in a few years, so it may be a catch-22 trying to save a few bucks.

Fair enough - Taking Apple's ram + storage upgrades would make sense for heavy video work, particularly with the internal storage being so fast,
but for audio-only use base model M1 would be totally fine.

I don't really do video so I just hung a 1TB NVME drive off a USB-c port.

Keep an eye on Apple's refurb store. You can save a fair bit there, with all the same warranties/entitlements.

I'd have to hold off on the 16GB memory - that's +$200 on top of an additional +$200 for 512GB = $1099.00. That's over my head, though I could stretch for the 512GB alone @ $899.00 if I had to buy today. Adding the 512GB internal or using the 256GB and adding external SSDs could all wind up being roughly the same prices in a few years, so it may be a catch-22 trying to save a few bucks.
Then opt for the 16 and supplement with portable storage. I've been buying the Samsung 1TB T7's for as low as $109 on sale. I'm editing video projects directly from them without issue as through put is crazy fast. You give up a thunderbolt port for it but that might not be an issue for you. I have multiple video capture setups to thunderbolt so two is a little frustrating to swap out all the time. Add an SD card reader and I find I am always plugging and unplugging stuff. Super happy that even the old firewire legacy devices are still working with the M1 chip though. Currently set up with Video8, Hi-8, VHS, VHS-C and Mini DV.

Yeah.. swapping - going for the 16GB RAM and 256GB drive.. then adding an affordable external SSD like the T7 (or T5) for half the price. I'm currently using (I think) 5 USB 2.0/3.0 ports on my tower, but the Mini has the wireless keys and mouse to eliminate 2 port requirements. Yeah.. that could work out nicely, especially if I can avoid Apple's Thunderbolt cables @ $149/ea.

T7 has twice the data rate over the T5 and often I've seen them for close to the same price when the T7 is on sale. Also comes with a cable.

The Horror of it all! You are truly lucky to be alive :laughings: Back in the 90's I swore I'd never own one of those new fangled things....then a job that required and paid for it came along and the rest is misery....My grandkids have no concept of a world with out "technology"...sometimes makes me a little sad...sometimes makes me wonder if learning these complex digital tools at such a young age is giving their brilliant little minds a jump start...guess we'll see as the future unfolds...
It definitely gives them a jump start at some things, with the caveat that it reduces their social skills.

Since I use Reaper, switching to a Mac Mini in a few years may not be too complicated for my recording. Hell, with my watching lots of Kenny Gioia's videos utilizing his Mac, it might just turn out to be a comfortable transition :listeningmusic:

Yeah.. swapping - going for the 16GB RAM and 256GB drive.. then adding an affordable external SSD like the T7 (or T5) for half the price. I'm currently using (I think) 5 USB 2.0/3.0 ports on my tower, but the Mini has the wireless keys and mouse to eliminate 2 port requirements. Yeah.. that could work out nicely, especially if I can avoid Apple's Thunderbolt cables @ $149/ea.
Oof! What adapter is that? You can get a usb-c to 'old' usb cable adapter for cents or, better yet, a 4/5 port usb hub to break usb-c out to the older ports for very little.

Oof! What adapter is that? You can get a usb-c to 'old' usb cable adapter for cents or, better yet, a 4/5 port usb hub to break usb-c out to the older ports for very little.
That's the "new" cable straight from the Apple accessories section. I did misquote the price, it's actually $129.00 - just as bad.

tbolt.jpg

Real thunderbolt cables are pricy especially the Apple ones. The 4 pro is only needed if you are running devices like the new 5k monitor. They are not the same as USB C. The $30 or so thunderbolt 3 on Amazon work well for most everything else. The BlackMagic Studio series is still thunderbolt 3. Got a 1 meter cable for it on Amazon for $26

For my Canopus firewire capture device, I went with Apple adaptor cables though.

Aha! That Thunderbolt 4 cable I posted earlier was the only Thunderbolt cable shown when I selected Mac Accessories on Apple's page. After reading your post, I went back and did a search for "cable" and all their cables popped up, including a $39 Thunderbolt 3 - thanks for the tip :)

Since I use Reaper, switching to a Mac Mini in a few years may not be too complicated for my recording. Hell, with my watching lots of Kenny Gioia's videos utilizing his Mac, it might just turn out to be a comfortable transition :listeningmusic:
Shouldn't be complicated at all. DM me or start a thread if you've any teething problems.

The article mentions software compatibility, and that is worth mentioning.
I think was fairly lucky in that everything I've paid for worked fine without the need for any paid updates.
Super-old waves, EW orchestra stuff, SSD, DrumCore, Protools - They all worked fine.

Protools current version is intel run through Rosetta2. Reaper is Apple/M1.
I don't know how someone would know the difference without checking ActivityMonitor, though.

Back