Which to choose for input and which for output?

This is one of those questions that's only answerable by the person asking it. The input is whatever input your preamp's output is plugged into. The output is wherever you're sending it next - Aux mix / headphone amp? Stereo output? Single output to a processor of some sort and back in?

I am talking about vocals recording and as I know that in vocals I have to choose a mono input, so is there a choice found on the pic I sent resembling a mono input?

It really doesn't matter...you can convert the stereo recording to mono easy enough...but like Massive said...you have to pick the right inputs and outputs based on your setup and the gear connected to it.

When in doubt...try every I/O combination until you find the one that gives you want you want.
There's only a few to pick from, it shouldn't be too hard to find the one that works for you.

What I don't understand is you already have 11 tracks recorded and you're having problems selecting the input for the vocal track. :confused:
And the track 9 is 'Delay', not 'Vocal'.
Something is not adding up.

From what I can see...all his other tracks are stereo pairs... but most likely they actually dual mono tracks.
He now appears to think the vocal has to be a single mono track...and is not sure how to change that...but like I said, probably all of his tracks are mono, they just look like stereo tracks.

I REALLY HATE that most DAWs tend to default to "stereo" tracks, when in fact, those are dual mono...so it just confuses the shit out of everyone. My own DAW did that out of the box, but you can change it so the default is mono tracks...which is how I have it set...and I only choose stereo when I'm actually recording with a stereo pair of mics.

I mean...there are probably very few cases in the home rec world where people are actually recording in true stereo.
Most times, the occasional "stereo" tracks are coming from some MIDI patches, etc...the only other time is if someone is tracking a live drum kit, and they put up a pair of OH mics.

So I can understand the OP's confusion on this subject.

Even for the OH drum tracks, 2 mono instead of a stereo is preferable. You can adjust pan AND levels.

I'm not a fan of nor do I understand the appeal of dedicated stereo tracks except on certain occassions.

There are ways to make true stereo tracks work really well...but it's bigger balancing act than mono tracks...though if you get it just right with stereo tracks, it can give the mix a lot more dimension.
I've done a couple tunes that used them...one with stereo miking on almost all of the recorded tracks...but I've been doing mono since, because mono tracks are not as demanding right for the git go...you can just wait until the mix to decide on placement, but with lots of stereo miked tracks, you have to be thinking placement as you record them, in advance of the mix.

I became interested in it from reading some articles/interviews with Bruce Swedien, who used stereo miking on a lot of his tracks for Micheal Jackson sessions. I couldn't quite understand what he was getting at, as the details were minimal, but once I understood his approach, I was eager to try it...and it really worked out well.

Back to the OP.

Input: which input on the Blaster do you have the mic plugged into - left or right? Choose that one.

Output: DO you have speakers plugged into one set of the stereo outputs? Choose those outputs.

Back