Which Room to Choose?

Chuku

Hey all!

I have been recording in my bedroom ( not treated) since past few weeks but i have my brothers room which i want to go and give it a try as he lives no more here.

My room has more reverb than my brothers room which is almost dead. The room size is the same but my room has small bed, steel cupboard, wooden sofas, computer desk and most of the space is almost vacant through which there is a little reverb. In my brothers Room, there is a huge King size Bed, Huge Wooden Wardrobe, two Sofas and small other wooden sofas due to which the room is almost full and gives almost no reverb.

So i've been thinking if anyone could help me what would be the best option for me.

Thanks

I just want to know generally what kind of room is suitable. In my case two same size room- one with less reverb and other with little more.

They're both suitable or unsuitable. That decision is yours only. What will you be recording? Drums? Loud amps? Will you be using sims and samples? hand percussion? Vocals? Pianos? Will you be mixing in there too? Headphones or monitors? How comfy are the beds?

As most domestic bedrooms tend not to sound very good, you're likely better off with the more dead of the two. Room sound is only really desireable in a nice sounding studio.

However, as Greg says, your best bet is to try both and see what you like.

They're both suitable or unsuitable. That decision is yours only. What will you be recording? Drums? Loud amps? Will you be using sims and samples? hand percussion? Vocals? Pianos? Will you be mixing in there too? Headphones or monitors? How comfy are the beds?

For now i am just recording Acoustic Guitars and Vocals. Will be mixing on my headphones

I tend to prefer live sounding rooms for recording acoustic guitars and dead sounding rooms for vocals, you could use the two rooms to your advantage! let us know how it goes.

Try them both. Decide for yourself.

This ^^^^, when I started recording back in the day of cylinder recorders and piano rolls, we just tried things out, now on this forum it's like: What room should I record in, what mic should I use, what compression settings, what eq settings, etc etc, well try Fu*king things out and see. If you try things out and need a little help we are here to help, but how the hell would we know how the rooms in your house sound. :facepalm:

Alan.
feeling grumpy today :mad:

Grumpy or not, that's the best, most straight to the point advice one could give.

But then again...we seem to live in a world where people want you do figure it all out for them and solve everything.

Hell, there was even one chap that was demanding that we all edit our posts to include terminology of his choosing so he could understand things better. (Rolls eyes)

Hey, that makes your advice even more pertinent!
:D

Ps. I'm not grumpy at all. Just realistic.

This ^^^^, when I started recording back in the day of cylinder recorders and piano rolls, we just tried things out, now on this forum it's like: What room should I record in, what mic should I use, what compression settings, what eq settings, etc etc, well try Fu*king things out and see. If you try things out and need a little help we are here to help, but how the hell would we know how the rooms in your house sound. :facepalm:

Alan.
feeling grumpy today :mad:

You're not wrong. This site is plagued with inane questions that could easily be self-answered if people would get off the fucking computer and just try things for themselves. It's a fucking epidemic.

Back