What tdif pci card should I get for Tascam ma ad 8?

markoskerass

Hey there,
A friend of mine gave me a tascam ma ad8, but the thing is I know nothing about how to use it, so the first thing I noticed is that it only outputs TDIF, and I want to hook it up on my computer. How can I do that, in the cheapest possible way? I am not a professional, so I'm not looking for perfect sound anyway.

You need a Tascam PCI-822 card, which has TDIF I/O plus SPDIF I/O. To use that card you'll probably need a WinXP or Win2K machine with a legacy style PCI slot. You'll also need a way to monitor through the card.

Or, get a MOTU 2048 interface and PCIe host card. The Mk3 is less than $1000 new while a used Mk1 or Mk2 is probably under $300. Then you'd have a total of sixteen analog inputs, eight with mic preamps, and plenty of outputs as well.

The motu is the most practical way. I had a t tdif pci card back in the day, but I think they stopped making them in the win2k era. It worked with xp, but wasn't suported. Finding one 10 years later will be difficult

Ultimately it's going to be easier to get a newer interface and leave that converter behind. Or send it to someone like me who still has a working PCI-822 card.

Back