What sample rate and bit rate these days?

Yeah, 58, I've seen those, and all videos from Xiph.org. It's unlikely that I'll be having much of an issue with aliasing, as 90+% of my recording involves microphones, and I can tell you that most of those mics have rolled off well before I run into aliasing. I don't record synths which you can generate any signal you want. A guitar amplifier rolls off massively above about 8k. And, as a rule, I tend to roll off the higher frequencies, contrary to what things like the Focusrite Air mode does (on a Clarett, it boost +4dB at 24kHz! That's the perfect way to increase aliasing! Will someone explain why this is good???)

There are apparently quite a few issues that are alleviated by using higher bit rates within a plugin, I've never programmed one, so I can't comment on that, it's only what I've learned reading comments by some of the designers.

It's a bit like horsepower in a car, it's unlikely you'll ever use the full 600+ BHP output of a turbocharged V8 Ferrari, but it's there if you ever needed it, with the accompanying penalty of fuel usage. But putting a 1.8L 150BHP turbo in that same Ferrari means you're going to run out of steam at some point. I'll stick with my 88/24 settings and buy another SSD for $60 if I run low on space.

For me, it’s easy to hear. Unless you are mixing for DSD or FLAC, I keep it at 44.1 - the sample rate conversion is the least musical of all audio processes, even with dither. With today’s conversion and filters, I find so much benefit to 24/44.1K. A great deal of resources hogging with 88.2k - there are a few plugins that perform better (subjectively better / cleaner / less distortion) at 88.2k. But as a practice, 88.2k uses a massive amount of processing (even if you have it), and the majority of plugins receive zero benefit but still use the resource. Here is another great video from Tom – more ‘current’ examples of how oversampling in the plugin itself, as a working practice, often offers a greater benefit the majority of the time. - You mentioned you have seen these, but for anyone else - Tom is great.

Back