What mics should I buy for drum overheads?

burr701090

Hi I'm huge fan of the late 60s/early 70s natural sound, and that what I've been aiming for. I got an oak Sonor kit in a small room; currently using a SM57 on the snare, D112 on the Kick and for overheads I just have a pair of cheap MXL 990s. Just curious if there is a better pair of mics to buy for overheads under $200 or so. My budget is pretty limited. I typically use the Glyn Johns method of micing with good results, so that's what I'll be using these mics with. I play pretty soft, not a very hard hitter or anything. Thanks

Some Oktavas can be had for that much used. You could also get a used pair of fatheads or new fathead BEs for around 200. That might work very nicely for a vintage sound.

you'll need a pair of beyer m160s for that sound, they are more like £400 each though but definitely nail the sound you want, they sound natural smooth and are never harsh and are the only hypercardiod ribbons on the market. A cheap alternative might be the SE X1R but I haven't heard one in action so can't comment on its sound, I doubt you would be disappointed though.

There are a 1000 answers to this question, How about a pair of Rode NT1's, a pair of Fathead Ribbon mics (various brands out there) for a darker sound, if the price is a problem Rode has just brought out a matched pair of M5 mics that are a very cheap price and maybe under US$200 pair.

Alan.

Don't get the NT1s for this sound, IMO. They are too bright. I have two and they hardly ever get used.

Get the sE X1Rs. They will give you more of the sound you're looking for, IMO.

Cheers :)

Like you, I use a d112, 57, and use Glyn Johhs technique, which I use a pair of PPA ribbons(pacific pro audio, Chinese import ribbons, with a few better quality mods, great for $200 I think they are the same as the apex 210), and I love the sound, very late 60's, which is what I always go for. Very full sound, I keep trying to go back to micing up the whole kit, with 8-12 mics, and I keep pulling them all, and going with this setup. There are many cheaper ribbons that can sound pretty good, (nothing compares to the top dollar ribbons). I've heard good things about the golden age ribbon mics as well.

Most of the mics they used during that era is pretty expensive and costs way more than 200$ a pair.
I'm a fan of the same era of drum sounds to, closest I've got was using a pair of Coles 4038 but they are damn pricey.
Having said that, you could get pretty decent results with the mics you've got with good mic placement, start with one mic, move it around.
I can't emphesize on how much of a difference moving a mic a few cm's can have.

Just as important, the drummer, the kit (how it's tuned)

Last thing and IMO one of the most important factors of getting that sound, is recording to tape.
First time I recorded to tape, it blew all my digital recording away by miles

Regards to buying a mic, try saving some cash, get yourself a Shure really great mic on a budget, should be able to score one for less than 300$ if you monitor ebay for some time, I did.
One is enough to get you started.

Back