What is Cakewalk's Niche?

moosensquirrel

I recently bought Cakewalk 2002 off eBay for super cheap. It just isn't nearly as user-friendly as I had hoped. Compared to other software titles, what does Cakewalk do best? I also have a recent version of Acid Music Studio: if I were to make an amateur recording of my rock&acoustic band using these two programs, what role would each fulfill?

Sonar 6 or 7 is more like it. 2002 is too old. Sonar does everything you could need I think and it is user friendly, with a bit of a learning curve. Don't know about Acid Music Studio.

Acid is mostly for loops and such. Good for virtual drums or if you are doing a sample-based thing like hip hop or rap, I would say.

There are much better choices out there than cakewalk. I download a demo of it a few years back and could never really do much with it.

I think their niche has always been MIDI, but they have done a great job with audio too. The first version of Cakewalk (not Sonar) I owned was Ver 3, before they had any audio in the program. Even when Audio was added in Ver 4, the hardware was not there to support it (Other than the cheap PC sound cards).

Back