What interface connection do I need?...

hendrix_glp

I'm getting ready to start piecing together my first home studio. I intend on getting the best HP computer I can afford - 6 MB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, something in that area. I plan on using Pro Tools and a control surface/interface. The control surfaces I've been looking at and liking all seem to be connected via Fire Wire. The M Audio ProjectMix, for instance. So here's the question: How difficult is it to install a Fire Wire port on a newer HP desktop, as none seem to come with a Fire Wire port. Also, do I risk technical issues by adding something like this instead of just going with, say, a USB interface?
Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Hi.
Thunderbolt will accept firewire devices, if any of the desktops have that. You just need the right cable.

If that's a no-go, you'd need to check to see what kind of slots you have available in your new machine.
If you have a spare PCI or PCI-e slot you can add a firewire card with relative ease.
They're not too expensive either. :)

The only technical risk, really, is incompatibility. Some firewire chipsets are fussy about certain interfaces, or vice versa.
Find out what chipset your interface/control surface manufacturer recommends (TI?) and shop for that.

Back