What DAWs are you using and why?

Towel3566

Hi there!
I'm working on a personal project, which has led me to become curious about what DAWs you guys are using, and what exactly made you choose them over everything else that's available today.
For that reason I've made a little survey, that I would really appreciate if you answered:
Survey
Thanks in advance!

For me, it is Reaper. Free until the trial ends, then it is $60 for the personal account. Pro level costs more. I love this DAW. I used Cakewalk for years, and so much has changed not only with Cakewalk but all DAWs. Reaper is so cool, it is all I need at the moment. It supports VST plugings, iVST, etc. and has a very user-friendly interface. I can't speak about other DAWs than the two I mentioned, as I have very little experience with them. Reaper is a good place to start, and maybe continue with if you are interested.

I've always found 'DAW' a tricky thing. Production is quite different to editing and perhaps different again to mastering, yet we seem to use DAW to mean the software rather than on the machine. So for me, when I did the survey it was tricky - because I use Cubase to produce, but in the studio, Sound Forge to edit and do some processes. On another computer (in my video studio) I use Audition more often because although Cubase is on it, Sound Forge is not. So I use Audition, but prefer Sound Forge - but it does the job. I've been happy to use Audacity sometimes. So in my studios, the 'DAW' is not just one piece of software but quite a few.

Like Rob, "DAW" for me is a bit of a misnomer in some ways because it's to do with the machine as well as the software ~ if there is any.
My main machine is an Akai DPS12i. It's a now ancient piece of kit. I think they came out in 2000 or 2001. They haven't made them probably since George W. Bush was president and Tony Blair was in his first term as Prime Minister ! Prior to going digital, I used an 8 track cassette portastudio, a Tascam 488, which I bought in 1992. When I decided to go digital, I didn't particularly want to go the computer route but in the course of my research at the end of 2003/start of 2004, I discovered that there were standalone DAWs and the main reason I went for them was because in my mind, they were close enough in familiarity with what I had been used to for the previous 11~12 years, yet they carried the advantages of digital. I've long viewed the digital standalone as the perfect halfway house for those that like the portastudio workflow but want to get a bit more daring without having to risk cutting tape and stuff like that.
I also wanted a few more tracks to hand without having to utilize a reel to reel because I had neither the money, the time to re~learn nor the space, either for the machine or the stacks of tape I'd inevitably acquire.

Part of my research about digital recording brought me into contact with the concept of virtual instruments/samples, which was almost as good as a voice from Heaven to me. The idea that I could have all the instruments I'd ever dreamed of using to supplement my use of bass, drums, percussion, mandolin, guitar, keyboards and voices and others was such a bang on the head. I thought one could just buy the software, put it in the computer and use it, literally plug'n'play, but it wasn't quite like that. Going digital coincided with me starting to use computers {I was a late bloomer} and it was quite a learning curve. I needed a DAW in which to house my VSTIs. My idea was to play the instruments in real time ~ MIDI never interested me. So I had to learn about computer DAWS, controller keyboards etc. I bought Cubase SE as a host, primarily because that was what the shop I was in had at the time. I have never actually recorded onto it as a DAW but I've been using it since late 2004. Well, I switched to Cubase elements in 2009 but in my mind, it's all Cubase. I still just use it to call up the instruments.

I was under the impression initially that all standalone DAWs were more or less the same but that's not so. The first one I bought was the Zoom MRS1266 and I really liked it but it had some drawbacks. There was no varispeed, which is essential to my way of making music. Also, when bouncing {also crucial to my way of doing things}, you couldn't hear the other tracks as you were bouncing tracks together. I also didn't like the fixed stereo tracks. If I want to have them, let me determine where and which they should be. But that aside, it gave me the taste for what a DAW could do so I went looking for that DAW that had all the features I wanted and it came down to the Akai or the Fostex VF160. The Akai was available first so I trundled down to South London to get it and just made it to the shop as it was about to close. It was a couple of years before I got down to using it as I still had lots of stuff on the Tascam to finish off but by the time I got around to using it, I was acquainted with the workflow in using Cubase as the housing for the VSTis so it just became a case of learning how to record with the Akai. Once I started doing that, it was bombs away ! I spent many years trying to find a way to transfer my Tascam tracks to the Akai and once I did that I was in dream land.

The other major factor in going digital was mixing. Many of my earlier songs were lengthy pieces, anything from 2 to 35 minutes. Mixing on the Tascam was freaking hard work because if I made one error, I had to start all over again. When I was reading up on digital recording, I thought "automation" meant that one could mix in sections and I was somewhat miffed to find that this wasn't the case. But when I bought a second unit {I saw it in the window of an instrument exchange in Hammersmith}, I reasoned that I could mix from one machine to the other ~ and gloriously, could do so in sections then just use the "Cut - Move" function to join the two pieces together. So I could take small sections at a time and mix them to my heart's satisfaction and then move onto the next part and do likewise.
It has made mixing fun, rather than a psychologically loaded gun !

The only thing that the Akai doesn't do, but which the Zoom did, is reverse the data. When using tape, I used to like running the tape backwards and then recording a solo or whatever, then turning the tape back the right way. However, some years back, I bought a Zoom MRS8 {an 8 track version of the 1266} for this very purpose.

I made a decision late last year that I would be sticking with the Akai so I've bought a couple of extra back-up units so should the operational units go, I'm not hamstrung. I don't want bells and whistles. I want a few basic effects, I want the basic editing facilities and I want a workflow that was as close to the cassette portastudio days as possible.
The Akai gives me all of that. Maybe I could use the 16 or 24 track versions in the future. We'll see.

It's funny that the old word we used to describe Cubase, Logic, Sonar and others in their old non-audio versions was 'sequencer'- and people wanted to know what your sequencer was. Then audio came along and now despite still using MIDI after all these years, which is a crazily long time - 70s to now - we're only interested in audio, yet so many questions are actually about sequencing - quantising drums, dealing with controllers, sustains, note volume, velocity and modulation - Pro-tools was simply terrible with MIDI manipulation in it's first versions. Now, you see a Logic window in a Youtube video done my somebody who really understand creation - and you see the piano rolls, the controller tracks and the mix tracks - yet we refer to it as a 'Digital Audio' Workstation? You can see why people get confused. Back in the 'old days' - people would complain that drum tracks sounded robotic, and the magazines would explain how pianists tend to play ahead or behind the beat on purpose, and chords rarely get their start times aligned, or worse, randomly aligned. People would ask about how to make drum fills sound real, and how playing was critical. I remember one early trick I still use for making solos or tricky melodies sound right - record the solo on one note. Record just the rhythm, then with the grid off, move those notes to the right pitch and voila! A realistic solo that looks awful, but sounds great. I get the feeling lots of these old techniques don't get done, and now VSTi sounds are so good, they spend most time quantised to hell and repetitive in velocity, mod and PB. The great sample doesn't show up the lack of care.

Stiction is also very much involved here. If you use computers, most of us, once we tried a few applications, settle on just one. We then learn and learn on that one. Cubase in the 90s, and still cubase now. I have no idea if it's the best - but changing is impossible. 30 years worth of experience on it. Will I ever move to anything else? Not unless I have to - far too painful. My Logic and Protools friends are similarly stuck. People starting out use different software because they can. Even the pruned down versions of the sophisticated ones can be a real struggle.

I told everyone for years paint shop pro and Serif products were just as good as Adobe - until I needed Photoshop and had to spend a week getting to grips with it, and now, I'd never use anything else. The little extras make it what it is - a market leader. I started with Premiere - I've recently tried a couple of others but have reverted to Premiere - I'm quicker and there are benefits. If however, I'd been Sound Forge and Vegas exclusively for a while, I'd perhaps never have got wrapped up in Adobe - I don't know.

You use whatever gets the job done, and then stick with it.

Hi there!
I'm working on a personal project, which has led me to become curious about what DAWs you guys are using, and what exactly made you choose them over everything else that's available today.
For that reason I've made a little survey, that I would really appreciate if you answered:
Survey
Thanks in advance!
Audition 3. I'd still be using 1.5 but for the fact that it doesn't support ASIO.

Reason. Love that it emulates the look and functions of hardware. You have your SSL console and a rack that you can turn around and mess around with the wires.

I am now obnoxiously using 3 DAWs for my audiobooks:
-recording in Audition
-Running a module chain in Izotope RX and using their "find similar" feature to do breath removal (their breath removal feature cuts out too many C and P sounds)
-Compressing and normalizing in Audacity (this is mostly laziness because I already have the macro set up and Audacity has an ACX compliance checker)
-then back to Audition for the fine tune edits

Unorthodox? maybe. IT JUST WORKS FOR ME OK

Unorthodox? maybe. IT JUST WORKS FOR ME OK
This is all that matters. Someone recently said that it was the journey that mattered in making music. I couldn't disagree more vehemently. The journey happens because it has to happen, but I'm primarily about the result and however that result is netted is what counts. No one's methodology is wrong ~ unless they are no longer happy with it.

Hi there!
Survey
Thanks in advance!
Is there a way to see your survey results?

Back