Virtual equivalents and best recreations of famous synth keyboards?

What are the best virtual equivalents For korg, Roland, oberhaim, yamaha, juno, moog and other most famous keyboard synths??

Yamaha's modern, affordable alternative to the DX7 is the Reface DX? Right?

Big thnxx

What are the best virtual equivalents For korg, Roland, oberhaim, yamaha, juno, moog and other most famous keyboard synths??

Yamaha's modern, affordable alternative to the DX7 is the Reface DX? Right?

Big thnxx

For Korg; Korg themselves have a bevy of their own VI recreations of their original hardware devices including the newer Wavestate, Wavestation, Opsix, Modwave, Polysix, and all the way back to the infamous M1 and Triton. Having owned, or still own many of the hardware devices, as well as owning the VI's, I can vouch that sonically (at least for recording) the VI's are virtually identical to the hardware. I love my hardware Korg Wavestate as it's currently my absolute favorite but I'd have to admit I can't hear a difference with my Wavestate VI. As I've mentioned here before I think most of these VI's are sonically identical to their hardware brethren but that's not to say the softsynths will ever, ever provide the tactile response and touch of hardware. No comparison. If however, you're looking for the tried and true Korg signature footprint in a VI, for me, there are no peers.

For Roland; Roland is now cloud-based/subscription-based and offers virtually all the icons of the Roland legacy. I subscribed briefly and as with the Korg VI’s I found the sonics as an exact duplicate. I love Roland sounds but with so much available for other unique sound signatures I choose to opt out. However, if I was a hard-core Roland fan and was looking for that specific sonic, I’d personally look no further.

Oberheim, Yamaha, Roland/Juno; For me, and if you're looking for nothing more than the original sonic sound, and not too worried about deep re-programming, sequencing, arpeggiating etc, nothing beats Arturia. Their OB-Xa, to my ears, brings back memories of my original OB. Although I never owned one I do have a friend that still has one in his collection and Arturia’s take on the endlessly fat Yamaha CS-80 is ridiculously close. The same goes for the Juno. Arturia’s Jun-6 V is an almost identical copy including the now-famous chorus. Also, I really like the software designer “Soundpaint” who is taking a different approach to VI development. Their Juno patches are really great, but to my ears, it’s a bit more of a Juno +. In the end, if you really want the Juno sound, Roland still has the best in their VI collection but personally, I’d be just fine with the Arturia.

DX7; I’m at a disadvantage here as I’ve not heard the Reface DX. I owned an original DX-7 so I’m really familiar with those sounds. Once again, and for me, the Arturia DX7 V is as close as I’ll ever need. Maybe close to identical. That said, the DX-7 at its heart is an “FM” based architecture so I’d guess the Reface DX, and I know the Arturia DX7 faithfully captures the spirit of the DX sounds but if one is into FM synthesis in general and particularly programming FM synths, the world is your oyster. There’s more out there by way of FM programs VI’s to last a lifetime.

For Korg; Korg themselves have a bevy of their own VI recreations of their original hardware devices including the newer Wavestate, Wavestation, Opsix, Modwave, Polysix, and all the way back to the infamous M1 and Triton. Having owned, or still own many of the hardware devices, as well as owning the VI's, I can vouch that sonically (at least for recording) the VI's are virtually identical to the hardware. I love my hardware Korg Wavestate as it's currently my absolute favorite but I'd have to admit I can't hear a difference with my Wavestate VI. As I've mentioned here before I think most of these VI's are sonically identical to their hardware brethren but that's not to say the softsynths will ever, ever provide the tactile response and touch of hardware. No comparison. If however, you're looking for the tried and true Korg signature footprint in a VI, for me, there are no peers.

For Roland; Roland is now cloud-based/subscription-based and offers virtually all the icons of the Roland legacy. I subscribed briefly and as with the Korg VI’s I found the sonics as an exact duplicate. I love Roland sounds but with so much available for other unique sound signatures I choose to opt out. However, if I was a hard-core Roland fan and was looking for that specific sonic, I’d personally look no further.

Oberheim, Yamaha, Roland/Juno; For me, and if you're looking for nothing more than the original sonic sound, and not too worried about deep re-programming, sequencing, arpeggiating etc, nothing beats Arturia. Their OB-Xa, to my ears, brings back memories of my original OB. Although I never owned one I do have a friend that still has one in his collection and Arturia’s take on the endlessly fat Yamaha CS-80 is ridiculously close. The same goes for the Juno. Arturia’s Jun-6 V is an almost identical copy including the now-famous chorus. Also, I really like the software designer “Soundpaint” who is taking a different approach to VI development. Their Juno patches are really great, but to my ears, it’s a bit more of a Juno +. In the end, if you really want the Juno sound, Roland still has the best in their VI collection but personally, I’d be just fine with the Arturia.

DX7; I’m at a disadvantage here as I’ve not heard the Reface DX. I owned an original DX-7 so I’m really familiar with those sounds. Once again, and for me, the Arturia DX7 V is as close as I’ll ever need. Maybe close to identical. That said, the DX-7 at its heart is an “FM” based architecture so I’d guess the Reface DX, and I know the Arturia DX7 faithfully captures the spirit of the DX sounds but if one is into FM synthesis in general and particularly programming FM synths, the world is your oyster. There’s more out there by way of FM programs VI’s to last a lifetime.
Great info. Gracies amigo.
Does arturia have one product that includes all these famous recreations?

which best synths, keyboards use audio samples for hyper realistic sounds??

Gracies
Audio samples in no way directly relate, in and of themselves, to hyperrealistic sounds. It certainly can be the case, especially when trying to re-create acoustic sounds such as strings, woodwinds ect. Even then the cost of creating realistic libraries based on samples is uber expensive to produce and naturally expensive for the consumer. That's not on any level what makes Arturia (or any other software developer) recreate great emulations of analog or early digital devices. Modeling however is beginning to emerge in soft synth sounds and I've heard some really convincing, really easily played, really easily manipulated sounds in the modeling for the soft synth world. Propellerhead Reason has a newer violin synth called Friktion that I find uncannily good.

I wouldn't relate sampled sounds to greatness without a proper background.

Audio samples in no way directly relate, in and of themselves, to hyperrealistic sounds. It certainly can be the case, especially when trying to re-create acoustic sounds such as strings, woodwinds ect. Even then the cost of creating realistic libraries based on samples is uber expensive to produce and naturally expensive for the consumer. That's not on any level what makes Arturia (or any other software developer) recreate great emulations of analog or early digital devices. Modeling however is beginning to emerge in soft synth sounds and I've heard some really convincing, really easily played, really easily manipulated sounds in the modeling for the soft synth world. Propellerhead Reason has a newer violin synth called Friktion that I find uncannily good.

I wouldn't relate sampled sounds to greatness without a proper background.
Thnx. I still would like to know which famous synths use audio samples. I guess it’s almost all synth workstations?

Thnx. I still would like to know which famous synths use audio samples. I guess it’s almost all synth workstations?
The Roland D-50 was the first rompler to use samples. It was unique because the only samples it used were the "attack" envelopes of a sampled sound. The rest was pure synthesis. From there the floodgates were open and every major manufacturer, on one level or another, had rompler-based devices. The Korg M-1, the whole Roland JV series, Yamaha SY series all led the way. In truth, most were what were commonly referred to as SS devices. SS, meaning some form of samples and synthesis combined. Since storage is exponentially larger than ever dreamed of in those days, many samples based soft synths of today are almost exclusively sample-based. Some of my Spitfire libraries are multi-hundreds of gigs. Difficult in days gone by to imagine a hardware synth having that kind of memory.

I don't however think I'm clear as to what your questions are driving at?

I believe Espen Kraft just sold his Roland JX-8P and is using the free PG-8X plugin by ML-VST instead. I use this a lot. It's very good.

For the Oberheim OB-Xa, I can't recommend OB-Xd by DiscoDSP highly enough. 32-note poly, velocity sensitive, and you can pan the voices.

And for the sainted TB-303, I use Ronan Fed's AB303. It has lots of features Roland never dreamed of, and a phat Moog filter - amongst others.

Back