Versatile condenser microphone

JamLikeHam

I am currently trying to add to my home studio. I am using Pro Tools MP9 and I am recording pop/rock music (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric bass, drums, vocals). As of right now I have one microphone and it is the Shure SM57 dynamic microphone which i've been using for pretty much everything. I am looking to buy a new microphone. The problem is that I am only willing to spend up to $200-$250. I am currently leaning toward buying a built in stereo condenser microphone, specifically the MXL V67Q Stereo Condenser Microphone. When I purchased the Shure SM57 I had not done a lot of research and while it is a good microphone, it is not very versatile and was not the best choice for my situation. Advice on what kind of microphone I should purchase next would be greatly appreciated. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the built-in stereo feature? Is there any microphone that would somehow compliment the features of my current Shure SM57 microphone?

Rode M5

^ Would be my choice if stereo is of interest. By definition an integrated stereo microphone is not going to be very versatile!

Compliment the '57? Another one? If you played and sang you could I suppose use the dynamic for vocals and a capacitor on guitar (say) .

Dave.

The stereo would actually be a disadvantage for the majority of home studio stuff. It's an X-Y configuration which is great for choirs or orchestras in a nice acoustic but not all that versatile.

If the idea of stereo attracts you, I'd go the route ecc83 suggests and buy 2 small diaphragm condensers. You can use these as an X-Y pair together...or as two completely separate mics (for example on an acoustic guitar, one at the 12th fret and the other between the sound hole and the bridge. Daves NT5s are a nice mic, if a little bright for some people. Another pair of SDCs you might try are the sE1A--very useful and a bit cheaper too.

...or you chuck the stereo idea and go for a large diaphragm condenser--of which you have hundreds to chose from (and probably as many opinions on this board!).

"Daves NT5s"

Just to clarify Bob! I do not own a pair of M5s, tho' sorely tempted I have nothing to point them at that plays!
I do have two (not a matched pair, 2dB apart in sens') AKG Perception 150s* and have used those on ac' guitar but Son thought those too bright and preferred the '57!

*Now the P170, essentially the same microphone but with a 20dB pad instead of 10dB. This means they can handle 155dB SPL and you will only find that at NASA! BTW if looking at an LDC on a budget, do check out the Sontronics STC-2 . Very neutral sound for an LDC and has a pad and a HPFilter. Versatile or what for 150 squids? Comes in a nice tin too!

Dave.

Doh! I meant the M5 you recommended. Somehow I still automically put NT in front of Rode mics.

Anyhow, since you don't have an M5 or an NT5 I can stop being polite and avoiding an argument and say that I find them both bright to the point of being harsh and much prefer the sE1A or (going upmarket) AKG391 or 451 mics. If your son prefers a 57 to a condenser I suspect we're after different sounds from an acoustic--I find a 57 muffled and totally lacking detail in that application--but everyone's tastes are different.

...might also be to do with different musical styles.

Anyhow, although I think the OP will end up with an LDC, I have to say that the most used mics in my kit ARE SDCs (whichever you choose) on everything from guitar to drum to brass to strings and even to vocals. A pair is even better.

sE Electronics sE1a Stereo Matched Pair Condenser Mics at Gear4Music.com

OoooooO! NICE! They will be less than 200quid almost anywhere else in the world.
Yes, son did find the 150s "a bit bright and tinkly" but then he is not 25dB down at 2kHz and dives off a cliff thereafter like his dad! The Tanny 5As are probably a bit on the bright side of flat?

Mind you! Having to much HF is better than not enough! Top chop not only reduces hardness and "spike" noobs, it also reduces noise.

Dave.

I did some digging and found an acoustic guitar track I recorded years ago when I got my first sE1A mics--not an official stereo pair but close enough that I never worried. HERE's one of the raw tracks.

(You're listening to the mics, not the guitar or guitarist. This is a favour I did to my then-still-in-school daughter who wanted to form a band with here guitarist boyfriend and his brother. The relationship was over before the mix was done!)

Rode NT2-A! I regret selling mine, it sounded great.
+1 for the NT2-A

If you don't want to spend that much, go for an NT1-A. Also a solid mic and, last I checked, it was $170 less - the only thing is that it's just a cardiod polar pattern; that's it. The NT2-A can do cardiod, omni and figure 8 patterns. Good stuff!

Ditto on the CAD M179.

+1

REALLY tough to beat the versatility v. price of this mic (and its bundled case & shockmount). Even though some of us here probably grabbed some at ~$100 on past clearances or special sales, you can shop around and get this mic for generally as low as it's ever been. One aspect that it does share with the Shure SM57: no need to ever get rid of it.

Paj
8^)

I am using Pro Tools MP9 and I am recording pop/rock music (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric bass, drums, vocals).

How are you recording the drums? With your one 57? Maybe you're using virtual drums, but if you are trying to record real drums, you'll need more than a 57 and a condenser.

If you are only using a mic for the acoustic and vocals (which is what I do), then you have a nice range of mics to choose from. I personally have an MXL V57 and a Studio Projects C1. I like the C1 on my acoustic and I can deal with it for my vocals. It's a little crispy in the high freqs, but some small EQ tweaks fixes it. The MXL V57 is darker sounding and not for everyone. It's a cheap mic, but I rather like it for my vocals.

There's no easy way to choose a mic on the internet. You can read reviews and ask for opinions all day long, but mics are just like voices; everyone is a little different, and a mic may or may not work for you. So, basically, you pick the one the best matches what you think you are looking for and go for it. Once you get it, figure out how to get it to work for your particular application.

As for a stereo mic, unless you're recording drums, I would not bother with one until later down the road.

BTW, BandHphoto currently has the whole M179 package (+case, clip & shockmount) for $111---with free expedited shipping.

Paj
8^)

Back