Venting on V7.X

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I've upgraded from V5-V6 to the new V7 and have been using it for several weeks now with no problems. But today has been another story. . .

I set up to record a new project and get no audio in my headphones. The meters on my interface and in Reaper are going just fine - no audio. AmpliTube is plugged in. Input monitor is on. Record is armed. Meters are banging away, but no audio in phones.

I push the Monitor button on Input 1 of my MOTU M2 interface. This gives me audio in my phones, but it's the raw DI guitar only - can't hear FX. I'm curious. . I don't normally need to push the M2's monitor button to get audio, it's always been off and everything worked fine. . before today.

I add and arm a few more tracks as I did the first, but all behave as the first track - signal but no audio.

Frustrated, I give up and shut everything down. I open Reaper again to begin anew by adding one track as before. This time everything works perfectly. I hear the guitar with FX (AmpliTube) added in my phones. Also, the MOTU M2 monitor is not on - as has been my normal experience. All seems to be well.

I record a new guitar track and save the track (not the project). I then set up a second track to add a bass line. After adding it's FX (Ampeg SVT), I want to close the AmpliTube FX window behind the Ampeg FX window. It's peeking out enough so I click on it's header to bring it to the front. . . Reaper disappears from my screen. All I see is my normal Win 10 desktop screen. POOF! There goes my nicely recorded guitar track!

I started to open Reaper again to begin all over, then I just got pissed and closed it all down in frustration.

I'm going to revert back to V6.X until they get some of these bugs worked out.

I'm still kicking v5.99, as the license was for v4-5. My plan was to upgrade to 7 after the new year, but I might hold off. Have you seen any comments about similar things on the Reaper forums? It sounds kind of wonky, and Reaper has been a rock solid program for me for years.

Have you seen any comments about similar things on the Reaper forums?
I've seen a few issues with Version 7. But, to be honest, 90% of them turn out to be either user-error or just a slight change in how something is accomplished. 5% are answered by either Justin or Schwa with "That's a bug that will be fixed in the next update", and it does get fixed. So, the customer service is great as usual.

I find that most "problems" with REAPER turn out to not be REAPER problems at all. It's usually someone doing something wrong, or it turns out to be an interface issue, or a driver issue, etc...Very few are actually REAPER's fault.

Having said that, I haven't updated to V7 simply because I use very little of the millions of features REAPER offers. I'm happy with V6.

I looked around @ Reaper Forums, also Googled - nothing specific to my situation. What I see there are many varied complaints, no two alike. The Google responses were all from earlier years where users were not setting things up correctly to monitor recording or playback. Nothing like my problem(s).

I'm beginning to feel like there's a predatory gremlin following my Reaper sessions. First, my headphones self-destruct - literally. Then the interface self-destructs. Now Reaper. . .

Oh hell . . .

uh oh . ..jpg

Jason insists it's a quirk with the new certificate - not a Trojan. I dunno. More than the usual amount of updates and changes were made in this version, so I figure it just needs a little debugging.
Yeah, I trust that to be accurate. That said I don't think I've ever run into a problem based on a "new" cert though.

Windows doesn't clean up after itself... With all your various "program upgrades", perhaps what you need is a clean installation?

Jason insists it's a quirk with the new certificate - not a Trojan. I dunno. More than the usual amount of updates and changes were made in this version, so I figure it just needs a little debugging.
I am current with the most recent updates, until now. I tried downloading the newest version and my Norton LifeLock warned me there was a suspicious link and recommended I not download the files. So now Im wary of updating any further. I have all I need in the most recent version I have anyway.

I've upgraded from V5-V6 to the new V7 and have been using it for several weeks now with no problems. But today has been another story. . .

I set up to record a new project and get no audio in my headphones. The meters on my interface and in Reaper are going just fine - no audio. AmpliTube is plugged in. Input monitor is on. Record is armed. Meters are banging away, but no audio in phones.

I push the Monitor button on Input 1 of my MOTU M2 interface. This gives me audio in my phones, but it's the raw DI guitar only - can't hear FX. I'm curious. . I don't normally need to push the M2's monitor button to get audio, it's always been off and everything worked fine. . before today.

I add and arm a few more tracks as I did the first, but all behave as the first track - signal but no audio.

Frustrated, I give up and shut everything down. I open Reaper again to begin anew by adding one track as before. This time everything works perfectly. I hear the guitar with FX (AmpliTube) added in my phones. Also, the MOTU M2 monitor is not on - as has been my normal experience. All seems to be well.

I record a new guitar track and save the track (not the project). I then set up a second track to add a bass line. After adding it's FX (Ampeg SVT), I want to close the AmpliTube FX window behind the Ampeg FX window. It's peeking out enough so I click on it's header to bring it to the front. . . Reaper disappears from my screen. All I see is my normal Win 10 desktop screen. POOF! There goes my nicely recorded guitar track!

I started to open Reaper again to begin all over, then I just got pissed and closed it all down in frustration.

I'm going to revert back to V6.X until they get some of these bugs worked out.
What you are experiencing is reaper in real monitoring mode. Theoretically the Daw monitoring button is suppose to switch the monitor button on the interface, and the raw signals before the daw computer are sent to the headphones. This behavior is configurable in a monitoring menu.

The way they set it up before, with the monitoring after the Daw vst input rack is actually incorrect. Even though you have a use for it.

Back