Valve Amps Vs. Emulation Plug Ins! Sound clips!

SweetLadyLuck

Hey guys, Ive got some interesting clips comparing some valve amps to emulation plug ins, theres a few LePoulin in there and some Waves stuff

I would really appreciate it if you could help me with this survey as it is for a dissertation I have for my Degree course.

Louis Cairns Survey

Thank you people! :thumbs up:

I started to do it, then gave up, because, for a credible survey, they should not give away the answers by saying which was which.

I thought it was a good survey. The survey was about people's perception of amp or sim. Not asking people if they could tell the difference. The survey was about perception. I actually think one of the clips sounded better as what he said was the sim.

I wonder if he was telling the truth about what was a sim and what wasn't? 'cos if the last survey we all did about amps and sims taught us anything is that most of us might as well have been clicking at random.

I thought most of these clips sounded good, I was surprised by the Waves GTR3 doing the Fender thing too...

I do agree with gecko it should've been a blind test, but I still liked it because I could hear the differences pretty good on the Marshall/Mesa clips, sometimes I honestly can't tell right off the bat what's what...

If the survey is about perceptions, then there was no need to present the clips. You could simply ask the question.

If you wanted to test the validity of those perceptions, then it should have been a blind test.

If the survey is about perceptions, then there was no need to present the clips. You could simply ask the question.

If you wanted to test the validity of those perceptions, then it should have been a blind test.

You've got to ask the question multiple times and use control groups for it to be a fair test - its the scientific method. You have to test your hypthoesis (bare in mind, we don't really know the OPs hypothesis).

So, ideally, you'd see if there's a statistical difference between what we've been doing and just plain asking people what they prefer without the assistance of a clip. I'd hazard a guess that there isn't and that most of the time (particularly when just listening to clips online like that) perception is more important in people selecting what they think is best rather than the actual sound.

I would be interested if in a few weeks he gave everyone the same test but jumbled the clips (basically lying in the questions) to see if it made any difference to the outcome. I reckon it wouldn't!

I thought it was a good survey. The survey was about people's perception of amp or sim. Not asking people if they could tell the difference. The survey was about perception. I actually think one of the clips sounded better as what he said was the sim.

I wonder if he was telling the truth about what was a sim and what wasn't? 'cos if the last survey we all did about amps and sims taught us anything is that most of us might as well have been clicking at random.
Miner, when we did that last blind test that the other guy was doing for a thesis weren't your results pretty much indicative of random chance? I know mine were!

Yeah man, I think I got about half of 'em right...To be honest, I didn't spend a lot of time on any of 'em though...

Thanks everyone, got the amount of replies I needed.

The dissertation was not studying a simple Amps vs Plug ins but instead had a focus on the perception of branding. Variables had to be changed in order to test if knowing the brand was having an effect. The results from the survey will be cross examined with another test of the same clips where the wording had been changed and the other comparisons were given the blind test instead of Mesa Boogie.

For people that may want to know about the Mesa, Clip A was the Plug in (LePoulin Lecto) and Clip B was a Mesa F50.

The Fender Super Reverb was a placebo effect, infact it was the same as plug in it was being compared too (Waves GTR "drive") except with a different impulse response.

Thanks to the people that completed it

Back