Using a Mackie ProFX16 with Zoom

mkatchan

Good day all!

I work as an AV tech for a financial company in NYC, and we do remote setups in our satellite offices that involved multiple mics as well as Zoom. Normally, we run 4-8 mics into the various channels of the ProFX16, then a Main Out to standing speakers at the front of the house or the house sound (the second Main Out frequently goes to a camera for recording).

We use the USB In/Out on the back running to a laptop so that we can draw sound FROM the Zoom as well as push all of the mics TO the Zoom. It works well.

My biggest question is...is there a way to separate the main levels going to the Zoom from the Main Outs? So, if someone is complaining at the far end of Zoom that the sound is low (Zoom has a maddening tendency to push down the sound going out), if I bring up the volume, it also ends up driving up the sound in the room, and my in-room volume starts to ring/feed back/etc.

I had assumed that the button marked "USB OUT" was my ticket, allowing me to control the volume to the Zoom through Sub 1-2, but that didn't seem to do anything.

I'm an old-school AV tech who only had to worry about sound in the room, and I want to figure out how to make it sound good at both ends! Thanks for any/all help you can provide!

I'm assuming you assigned the relevant channels to Sub 1-2 (in addition to the main L-R output).

In my day job at a small university, I do sound for a lot of Zoom meetings. We use a post fader aux send to feed audio to Zoom, which lets us keep the audio return from Zoom out of the send. We use cables between the mixer and the desktop computer's onboard sound card, which works just fine for Zoom.

I'm assuming you assigned the relevant channels to Sub 1-2 (in addition to the main L-R output).

In my day job at a small university, I do sound for a lot of Zoom meetings. We use a post fader aux send to feed audio to Zoom, which lets us keep the audio return from Zoom out of the send. We use cables between the mixer and the desktop computer's onboard sound card, which works just fine for Zoom.
Now this is what you get for assuming! :-)

I may have missed that...so on any channel that I want to send out to Sub 1-2 (aka the Zoom feed in this case) I need to make sure not only is L-R selected, but also Sub 1-2. Correct? As I type this, I'm thinking "duh", but I'm almost positive I missed it in my test. Is that what I neglected to do?

Our computer is always going to be a laptop, where the sound is going to be coming from either the USB port or a 1/8" (headphone) jack.

Back