Upgrading Hard Drive in VF160EX

cmiri19

I want to put a bigger hard drive in my VF160 EX. Can I do this and does it have to be EIDE?

I currently have the 40GB. Would like to expand this as much as possible.

It's easy to replace. Switch off, let it cool down. Unscrew back panel and lift out drive. Pull out the two plugs from the old drive and fit the new drive.

It takes hours to format though. You'll still have 99 programs only no matter what size the drive.

I keep my full drives and I prefer 40gb. Easier to manage the data.

I tried an 80gb and that worked fine. 40gb seem to be extinct now so i'll have to use bigger drives.

IDE only. On other threads i've seen people say any size HD is ok.

I'd be interested to hear how long it takes to format your chosen drive.

replacing hard drive in VF160ex

Thanks a lot for the information. I'll post here how long it takes. I read somewhere on this site that it will only format to 127 gig so I was thinking that it might take longer to access programs. Was that the case with your 80 gig?

Anyway, I think it comes down to what IDE sizes are available. I'm looking at Micro Computer today to see what they have. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks again.
cmiri19

hard drive format

hello. how long does it take to format your 40gb hard drive? i had mine on for 3 days and all that was on was the "stop button" and the "formating" on the screen . please help me lol

Never timed it but its maybe 4 hours ish to format. I had a dud drive once that did what yours is doing.

Get another drive. Hopefully it's just that.

Never timed it but its maybe 4 hours ish to format. I had a dud drive once that did what yours is doing.

Get another drive. Hopefully it's just that.
ive left it to format for a few days amn.
dude i came home and it just went to the format page, that sucks i had hella music on that drive now i gotta buy one on ebay... booo...

I posted some formatting times on VF16.com but I seem to remember that my 120GB Diamond Max took a little bit less than 24 hours to format----so figure about an outside rate of about 5-6 GB per hour, maybe about 10-12min per GB.

Make sure you have the jumper block on the drive set to "Cable Select" (CS)---that's one way to avoid the endless format.

Paj
8^)

Formatting Maxtor Fireball 3 in VF-160ex

Hi,

I just installed a Maxtor Fireball 3 40gb replacement drive in my VF-160ex. It fired up okay, but the message said 'Unformat' and did not take me to the 'Format Drive' menu as it states in the Fostex manual.

I manually had to select 'Format Drive' and initiate the action, and when I did so, now it just flashes the word "Fostex" continually - I can't tell if the drive is actually formatting, or if nothing is happening.

Anyone had experience with this, or know if this sounds like it is being formatted?

Thanks for your help,

Howlin' Waters

Back