Upgrade Interface Or Buy Converter

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

I've got about $2500 to spend right now. Currently I have a Focusrite PRO24DSP. do you think I should use this money to buy a RME Fireface UFX or buy an AD/DA converter to add to my current setup and why? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

What deficiencies in the Focusrite do you need to address?

An interface is a AD/DA converter with a data port (usb, firewire or proprietary) for connection to a computer.

Paul

Yeah, I don't understand what you're trying to achieve either.
I would guess at more inputs/outputs?
In which case - yes the UFX has more ins and outs.
I don't get what you mean by saying getting another AD/DA converter - what more is this going to add to your current setup? Do you mean maybe another pre-amp so you can send more channels to the 24dsp via adat?

Mainly I'm thinking of better conversion. More open/detailed sound.

Last edited:
What is the rest of your system?

Frankly, the Focusrite is a pretty good A to D unit with a bunch of other facilities for monitoring, dynamics, etc. built in. Unless you have a perfect acoustic space, great monitors and great microphones, I doubt you'll even hear the difference in the converters.

If I had $2500 to spend, frankly I'd spend it on acoustics, monitors, microphones or pre amps, depending on where the weakest link in the system is.

At the moment I'm using the following...

AKG C414XLII
LA 610 Signature Edition
Yamaha HS-80m's (A)
Avantone Mixcubes (B)

I also have my room appropriately treated with panels and traps I built myself with OC703.

Will better converters not help the sound I'm laying down? I.e. better quality to the finished product on all systems?

Once you get above a certain quality threshold, the actual A to D conversion makes a subtle to negligible difference to your sound. Indeed, there are a relatively small number of A to D circuits that manufacturers can use in their products--unless you open up the gear and check at a component level, you may end up with the same A to D converter.

The two things that DO make a noticeable difference to the sound are the mic itself (big difference) and the pre amp (less than the mic but still noticeable).

One thing that jumps out at me from your gear list is the AKG C414. That's actually a favourite mic of mine but the sound is fairly distinctive. It works well on some material and less well on others. It's also a mic that engenders strong opinions--some love it, some hate it.

Frankly, if I had $2500 to spend, it wouldn't go on a boutique A to D for the subtle changes I might or might not hear; it would go on one or two other mics to compliment the C414 and let me choose one best suited to what I'm recording on the day. Or I might go for a mic and a separate pre amp with characteristics known to be different to what I'm using.

Everyone's tastes and priorities are different but my theory is to give myself a variety of options rather than an elusive quest for a single recording chain that's perfect for everything. Frankly, I don't believe a single perfect chain exists.

I think you should buy some nice converters. In fact, the best there is: Lavry, and I have the perfect set for you, the AD10 and DA10.

LOL, so I'm kinda half-kidding here, but only half. :) If you think you might be interested, pm me. They'll fit well within your budget and I'm thinking of changing around my setup a little.

Thanks for the advice. I love the sound of my c414 paired with my la610se for my vocals and acoustic which is really all I use it for.

Bobbsy, not sure if you noticed but you answered pretty much the same question in a thread of mine a couple months ago. My apologies for the repetition, I entirely forgot that I had posted that previously.

Ok, my budget has increased significantly, you might call me a gear slut, but I'm now looking at purchasing a Focusrite Control 2802 to run into a Lynx Aurora 8 with FireWire into my comp. I've always wanted to have the ability for external analog mixing, control surface for my DAW, analog summing, and high end converters. Does this sound like a good pair to get the job done?

Forgot to ask if the Aurora 8 has enough ins and outs to handle the 2802? Also, can I just connect everything with the DB25 connectors instead of having a bunch of seperate cables? I noticed the Lynx and the 2802 each have 3 DB25 connections.

Hijacking my own thread ;). Chili, you're like a presenter at the Grammy's plugging their own album...kidding!

Thanks,

As you have the cash, and obviously need to have the "best", just grab a Prism Orpheus and be done with it. If the Orpheus does not have enough I/O channels, then get a second one and daisy chain it. Problem solved!

You'll never have niggling quality concerns ever again.

P

Chili, you're like a presenter at the Grammy's plugging their own album...kidding!

"... and this year's award goes to... Kanye West for Best drunken outburst at an awards show."

lol, can't fault me for trying. :o Looks like you need more than 2 channels anyways...
Best wishes. :)

Mainly I'm thinking of better conversion. More open/detailed sound.

Converter hand-wringing is way overblown. A great way for companies to sell expensive equipment.

You are talking a difference of only less than a percent of difference.

Your room, monitors and total chain is FAR more difference than converter chips
(Your 'room treatment' is at best a guess and not like a pro studio where they bring in scientific equipment and Phds...)

Don't fall for HYPE.

I'm using a Fireface UFX along with the RME Quadmic preamps. I don't really have anything to compare it with but I am very happy with it. I guess it depends on your future plans for expanding your studio gearwise. The UFX has pretty much any connection availability you can imagine and the Totalmix FX software is very reliable and flexible: You pretty much get a full scale digital mixer.

From what I've read I don't think you will notice much difference from the UFX conversion (which are chips from Texas Instruments btw) as opposed to higher end converters. I say join the UFX club. Also, the metering screen is very handy and looks sweet (almost like another lava lamp in fact).

I have to admit. A lot of it for me are "what ifs". I cannot know the difference without have a higher end interface in my studio to truly know. However, the Control 2802 is pretty much bought at this point. Still debating the converter upgrade.

Bobbsy right on the money I reckon.
Your rig's decent enough - a selection of mics would give you much more versatility, so you can switch the sound around for a bit more interest depending on the track - rather than just sticking with the 414

(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bobbsy again.)... dammit - that guy's just too reputable.

Back