Thinking about getting a TC Electronic Finalizer 96k

Brenton

My brother and I are thinking about putting this in our mastering rack. Has anyone used it before? I'm kind of undecided whether I should purchase one or if there is a good alternative to this.

I like a good majority of TC Electronic's hardware but the price is pretty high so I would like to be sure if it is worth it sound wise.

It's actually pretty pointless box as you can do the same thing with plugins (tested once with a friend of mine who owns finalizer... don't remember which plugin we used for testing... maybe Waves C4? Anyway the difference between two compressed signals didn't basically exist).
If I were you, I would check out Drawmer 1968 ME for master compressor.

My brother and I are thinking about putting this in our mastering rack. Has anyone used it before? I'm kind of undecided whether I should purchase one or if there is a good alternative to this.

I like a good majority of TC Electronic's hardware but the price is pretty high so I would like to be sure if it is worth it sound wise.

Gave mine up for a focusrite platinum mixmaster.

But if you need to have the TC you can find them used cheap!

What's the usual price on the focusrite? Found one on ebay for 350, a huge price difference from the tc.

I bought mine years ago for $100, haven't been able to part with it for that. I use it as a multi band compressor... I don't master with it

they're pointless compared to waves plugins which duplicate the performance exactly, if you already own waves plugins of course. if not then they have their points I guess.

There are WAY better sounding mastering plugin collections though compared to the sound of a maximizer.

maximizers are well made and look cool and can sound cool but they really aren't justified compared to much more convenient plugins that sound the same these days.

I would use one for a tracking mb compressor though just for the hell of it. at mix I just use plugs these days cuz they're so amazing compared to plugs of the past. I don't even use otb verb any more, and I own 1176 comps and some pretty amazing outboard. Unless I'm being paid specifically to patch into a given outboard setup in which case of course I'll use it and very happily, I love real gear. but it's easy to get used to plugin automatic recall and forget to write down settings of everything and keep it all organized...

I forget the plugin collection I use for mastering but I adore it. I am NOT a mastering engineer, but for those frequent low budget or rushed times when I have to play that role, the toolset I use it a godsend. oh yea, T-racks. I loved early versions when everyone else hated it LoL (they prob used the presets...). Now it gets adoration for the quality of it's compressors and eqs and the great tone they have, and I still love it and it still sounds great to me. also terrific as individual plugins during mixdown, or the whole suite on the vocal busses. blows away any maximizer type of product.

Wow, that much still eh?... I think I'll do that...

...but then, I should probably go through all my old equipment, and it'll turn into the huge project I've been avoiding for years...

... then again maybe I won't

Back