The Tascam DP008EX Pocket Studio

Slouching Raymond

I thought I would create a DP008EX thread to describe life with this pocket studio.
TascamPocketStudio.png

Originally I bought a Tascam DR60DMKII, which is fine, although a little odd.
What it lacked was integral mics.
Something I'd like to do is shoot a video of me playing an acoustic guitar 'on location', such as by the beach.
There would be a lot of background noise, which would lead to a terrible recording.
The plan to get round this is to record the electro-acoustic guitar via a lead straight into a portable recorder, and match the audio with the video later.
This should get rid of the background noise, while recording the live playing.
When I saw the spec of the DP008EX, I thought this will do for me.
It would also enable me to make recordings away from home easily.
So I went for one, and here it is.

The DR60DMKII is connected to my SSL Big Six, for recording mixes, and is powered by a usb mains adapter. It didn't seem to like working off batteries.
The DP008EX, however, cannot be powered through usb.
I will probably use it with re-chargeable batteries most of the time.
I had a first play with it today, refering to the manual, and the operation is pretty intuitive.
I recorded electro-acoustic guitar via a lead to ch1, while also recording it through one of the 2 built in mics to ch2.
The built in mic recording was very clear, which tells me the mics are pretty good.
I need to work on my pre-amp levels to get the lead connected recording better.
I then added a third track of me singing toward the built in mics, and that was also clear.

The sales blurb says 'Stick it in your guitar case', and it actually does fit in my guitar case, and almost doesn't clash with the head of my guitar neck.
It seems to be a good tool for recording song ideas, without using any extra gubbins, before they get forgotten. And even exporting the good quality recordings into a DAW later.
It is unlikely that I would use up all 8 tracks. I would probably use one track to narrate the names of the chords, and perhaps other prompts.

I've got this same exact model and I had put it on a little "Demo Recording" Pedal Board that I made up for the purpose of being able to record in between periods while watching Hockey games in the living room. ;)

It's all being powered by a little Rockboard Battery pack... and this USB to 5v cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCNC8MX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I've got the splitter underneath the board which is where my Guitar/Bass plugs into so that I can record my ToneX Amp tone along with my DI signal on 2 seperate tracks (just in case I want to re-amp it later if I don't like the sound I recorded with).

PortaBoard1.png

Back