The Passive Monitor Round-Up

DREAMLABS

I'm looking to get myself a brand new spanking pair of PASSIVE monitors for my Voice-Over studio.
I've narrowed my choices to three:

Samson Resolv65 $199
Alesis Monitor One MK2 $199
Behringer B2030P $129

Which ones would you choose?

Attachments

• Samson Resolv.jpg
    Samson Resolv.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Alesis M1Mk2.jpg
    Alesis M1Mk2.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Behringer 2030.jpg
    Behringer 2030.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 78
I think you should add another monitor to your list, the KRK ST8. They sell for around $250 a pair. I'd take the ST8's above any of the ones on your list. Just my opinion.

i am looking for an passive now too but have active 8.2 wharfedales with which i want to use them.

Ok my amp isn´t a good one. An cheap sherwood av receiver ( but with tone direct :) ) so it should not be to expensive and available in europe. Should also be a good choice with the wharfedales.

yorkville ysm is now my favorite but couldn´t hear them until now. Have to look around here to find them.

Want to buy later an better amp.

What about the passive krk´s ( see one with an aluminium woofer - don´t remember the name ). Which one would be ok for me ?

The little hafler ( don´t need an great woofer ) also but are expensive here in germany.

:D Yo Fernando: [You've exited your Hide-a-way?]

I have to go with SonicAl--

I have the KRK 8 passives. You will not that the KRK 8 passive has an 8" woofer--most other budget monitors only have a 6.5" woofer. Believe me, the larger woofer gives you a much better sound.

I had Yorkvilles--a good monitor and I sold mine within a week to a friend who is very happy with them.

I also had Alesis monitors and they don't rate in my book after I made the first switch. Difficult to get good quality in the lower-price range but the KRKs work fine. Of course, if you have a shakey amplifier, well, you need to call Mandrake to magically fix the problem. :eek:

:D

Tannoy Proto J's!!

Significant translation & a superb, flat response over the audio spectrum
make these a fine alternative to the above three you have mentioned!
Street @ $170.00

thanks The Green Hornet

You have KRK ST8´s now ?

Did you sell the yorkvilles while the KRK´s were better ?

ok they go lower but what about the rest - how would you describe the differences ?

Which amp do you use with them ?

Enough questions :eek:

Ola Fernando:

I use the Yamaha AX592 integrated amplifier. It fits the nature of the work I do as it connects two tape decks, a CD player, phono, if needed and I still use the old records for special effects, am/fm if ever needed, and I can mix down to either or both tape decks or from one to the other--it's and amazing little amp. It also supports two sets of speakers: monitors and commercial speakers for listening.

The amp also has a "straight" through feature which cuts-off any coloration from the amp itself if needed.

I put my Yorks up for sale as soon as I plugged in and listened to the KRKs. Mr. Q twice is correctomundo about the Tannoys; they do cost more new methinks. I don't but used gear very often.

Because the KRKs have a larger woofer than the Yorks, as I mentioned 8 inches opposed to 6.5 inches, they give a bigger and rounder sound. The low end on the KRKs is better, as well as the high end. Of course if you go to more money, there are monitors that will blow away the KRKs. For the time being, I can get along with the KRKs.

But, I'm always reading here and listening there and can decide to upgrade anytime.

Ciao,
Green Hornet

My brother has the KRK ST8's. He uses a Mackie power amp with them, I forget which. Maybe the 1400. I've listened to his ST8's and think they are an excellent value for $250. They sound good, pretty flat and un-hyped. I liked them.

I've since bought a pair of the KRK V4's, which I am totally happy with as my second set of monitors. I use Mackie HR824's as my main monitors.

MISTERQCUE said:
Tannoy Proto J's!!

Street @ $170.00

I like Tannoy too - actually I'd use the word love here.....I have a pair of passive Reveals - great monitors that have helped me create some great mixes. A pair of these new will run a little over $300 though.

mel torme

fernandoesmaron said:
did find and read here and here those ST8 reviews.

Their price here are 169 € piece.

KRK ST6 = 250 Pair !!

good read.
another benefit to the aluminum cone per my physicshead friend is this Aluminum material won't "change" over time in comparison to a Kevlar weave which will loosen over time. (no data on how long it takes to loosen? 50years? depends on the weave) as the article said it's stiffer. not saying other parts won't relax overtime. He said theoretically Aluminums great stuff and would be his top choice.

design=materials and physics.

Aluminum cones.

fyi, he just bought a 4" sub woofer for his Home theatre.... but he said "it has a 4" throw where most speakers are <1"!!!" "it moves a bunch of air!!!"
but being 4" the magnet can respond extremely fast making it a very tight bass..instead of flabby!!!"
its not an aluminum cone?? :eek:
he was quite excited on this new technology.

MISTERQCUE said:
Tannoy Proto J's!!

Street @ $170.00

Yep you should add them to your list.

I've got KRK ST6's that cost me 200 bucks for the pair. They work just fine for me, but to be quite honest...I wouldn't really know any different. They're the only monitors I've used. I was just happy to find a well recommended brand for so little dough.

Back