The first "upgrade" mic

I've been recording with an old AKG, and it is not bad. It's rather like a Shure 58. I have a bit of $ available, and would like to upgrade to a mic with might give different/better results. My local recording guy says that the first upgrade which would actually make an audible difference would be a $400 mic, the name of which I forget. Does that sound about right, $400 more or less?

Thank you.

Yeah, around there. I'd say maybe $300 is the minimum for the "next level" up from the beginner mics. I like to think there's the intro range ($100-$200), then the intermediate range ($300-$500ish), then you start getting into nicer things around the $700-$1000 range. After that I don't even try and rank them because my mics will never reach that +$1000 level :laughings:

However, those are all new prices. You can save a good chunk of change if you buy used mics. Some people don't like to, but you can get some crazy deals sometimes. I'd recommend buying used to get more bang for your buck!

What source are you planning to record?
I'm surprised no one else asked!

Voice, soft jazz to moderate blues. Electric guitar into an amp and mic is also a consideration, but not a large factor in the equation. That is: the purpose is vocals, and if it works well in front of a guitar amp, that is s pleasant bonus.

Last edited:
I upgraded some a SM58 like mic to a MXL V63M I found used at the store (although it was wrapped up still like it was never actually taken out) for $50 and love it. Also my first condenser type mic. I think I may try the AT2035 as mentioned above and see which one is better, or just save a little more and jump right to a Rode NT1a

If your old AKG is a dynamic mic (since you compare it to an SM58) then you don't need to go to $400 for an audible difference. ANY condenser is going to have a very different character. However, if your budget is up to $400 then you can jump the "cheap LDC" phase most of us go through and get into some rather good mics.

Ones to put on your short list:

sE2200A II
Rode NT2A
Rode NTK (if you can stretch your budget or find a bargain--lovely mic for the vocals you describe)
AKG C214

To give equal time, also look at large dynamics like the EV RE20 and Shure SM7B. Their sound isn't my cup of tea but many on this forum like their warm, less crisp sound.

I'm not dissing the Oktavas that have been recommended--just never heard them in any sort of controlled environment.

My personal choice from the above list is the sE2200A. I have several and they've become my go to mic for vocals, especially female vocals, even over some rather more expensive Neumann mics I have in the cupboard.

If your shop lets you audition mics, that would be ideal as every voice is different and everyone's idea of what sounds good is different.

Last point: assuming I'm right that your existing mic is a small dynamic, there's a good chance that it'd still be the best bet for miking a guitar amp.

Yup, that's a dynamic mic and would continue to do a decent job on miking a guitar cabinet. There's likely better choices but there's nothing big wrong with what you have for that application.

Here's details for their Canadian distributor and at least some dealers: Where to Buy sE Electronics, sE Munro and sE Rupert Neve - sE Dealers Otherwise, most of the main US suppliers like Sweetwater carry the whole range and ship to Canada (though that doesn't help with an audition of course).

Which Centreville are you in (if you don't mind me asking)? I have brothers and sisters in Victoria and Ottawa and friends in Toronto.

The already mentioned Oktava mk219 is a great mic. It certainly performs outside of its price bracket!

I also get a lot of vocal use out of the sm7b which would sit nicely in front of a kick drum/bass cab/guitar cab just as easily.

Nobbsy, I must apologize: I'm not actually in Centreville. I invented it. I used "Centreville" as a way of say Beaver Cleaver City or Every Town, or something like that. I'm actually in Hamilton, west of that pernicious den of iniquity, Toronto.

I don't want to hijack my own thread, but is the Shure Beta 58A really three times better than sliced bread?

I have to stop reading this stuff........

Fate has intervened. as often happens, I went to the music store and they are putting the Rode NT1-A (with shockmount and accessories kit) on sale for $210 Canadian. At that price, I took one and ran.

Thanks for the help.

Nobbsy, I must apologize: I'm not actually in Centreville. I invented it. I used "Centreville" as a way of say Beaver Cleaver City or Every Town, or something like that. I'm actually in Hamilton, west of that pernicious den of iniquity, Toronto.

I don't want to hijack my own thread, but is the Shure Beta 58A really three times better than sliced bread?

I have to stop reading this stuff........

Never been to Hamilton but I know Tronna quite well.

Even though it's now redundant, the Beta 58A is a very good mic for some applications but your sort of recording isn't one of them. It's mainly designed for live sound use in situations where feedback rejection is a prime issue. To achieve this, it has a supercardioid pick up pattern meaning it's very directional and needs you to be directly in front of the mic and very close--handheld eating like an ice cream is probably best!

Fate has intervened. as often happens, I went to the music store and they are putting the Rode NT1-A (with shockmount and accessories kit) on sale for $210 Canadian. At that price, I took one and ran.

Thanks for the help.

Good choice--it's one of the quietest mics in that price range (or, indeed, rather higher price ranges). It'll be interesting to hear what you think of the differences between the NT1A and your old dynamic--you should certainly get a crisper, clearer sound.

I kinda feel that you have to pay quite lot to get a LDC/sdc, that beats a Sm58 or 57 in quality, as I think they are very good at what they do. However as they do different things even the cheapest condensor might feel like a step up or like a new playing field. It certainly did for me.
For 300 400$ your choice is simple get a secondhand Shure Ksm32 it totally pwns for it's price, and it's been used on loads of pro recordings.

Back