The American Dream Trilogy

Well done, Kevin. It reminds me of the way folks like Genesis and Yes built those epic songs, but with your song style. (y)

This one has a bit of a story behind it. It came to me in a dream.

Well - the first part did. It was an 80s all girl hair band (a la Go Gos) coming out of a small transistor radio next a bed on a table in the dream.

I've written several from dreams.

I got out of bed and immediately went to the studio to jot it down. What you hear in the actual recording is the piano I played that morning - unchanged from that morning.

... and that was it. All I had was the first part.

I played the recording here, and a responder suggested: "It sounds like it needs *more*. It sounds like the start of something that should be longer". Being from a dream, the thought became "Make the song about the cultural selling of The American Dream." - kind of like Styx's "The Grand Illusion".

Dutifully complying, I wrote two more sections - and longer it is. Ten minutes and 4 seconds to be precise.

Now folks will say, "That's crazy!"

To which my reply is, "So, what's your actual point? It's a ten minute meander about unwillingly getting caught in a social cultural net and escaping. Who doesn't want to listen to that?"

:D

Back