Tannoy 501a connectivity problem

shmulik

Hi all,

When I somehow couldn't find the "new thread" menu, I posted this in another existing thread about the Tannoy 501a monitor, and apologies for the cross-post if that's a problem, but I thought this was the best place for it.

Looking for any input from other Tannoy 501a users on an annoying problem I've been having with mine.

I'm using 1/4-to-XLR male cables running out of my audio interface to the monitors and I have a hell of a time keeping a good connection between the XLR plugs and the XLR inputs on the backs of the monitors.
The cables don't fall out completely; what seems to happen is that the weight of the XLR plug (slight though it is) is enough for it to sit slightly tilted down, rather than straight, inside the input jack. The tilt keeps all 3 pins in the plug from making proper contact with the monitor.

I haven't tried to switch out the cables yet, and that would be an easy test, but based on how I've wiggled them to try to get a connection, it really feels like a connection problem rather than faulty cables. If so, I'd think the XLR inputs on the monitors would be principally to blame. I could be crazy but I feel like the input jacks are too shallow to hold an XLR plug properly...?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Back