Suggested microphone to record the "I do's" during wedding ceremony

King Mustard

I am going to record parts of my sister's wedding using three or so video recorders (camcorder, mobile phone etc.)

However, said hardware won't be too near them during the "I do's".

Can anyone suggest a type of microphone that I can place near them (so that they're basically picked up clearer/louder) (which I can then sync to the video footage)?

I don't want to spend more than £10-£15 if I can, it's not a professional job or anything.

While I respect most everything Mutt does with guitars, his suggestion for mic isn't all that it could be. :rolleyes:

From what little I know of wedding videos, I believe it is common practice to ask the groom to place a portable recorder in his pocket. Something like the H4N with a lapel mic hidden. Somewhere.

For your budget, you really have no options.

When I video'ed my friend's sons weddings, I used a video shotgun mic on my camcorder from 20ft away and it was fine.

10-15 tho? You're not serious.

From what little I know of wedding videos, I believe it is common practice to ask the groom to place a portable recorder in his pocket. Something like the H4N with a lapel mic hidden. Somewhere.

For your budget, you really have no options.

Borrow one of those little portable recorders and get them in close,
otherwise an iphone may do a good job in the same spot.

Not quite in your price range but if you do a bit of Googling you'll find that you can rent a radio mic system with a clip on lapel mic and belt pack in the £25-£45 per week range and you'll get much better results than with on camera mics or whatever.

Back