Study on rock production and audience trends

The responses in this thread have been very constructive and while some of the info might be hard to swallow, I don't really see anyone being unkind.
Would you rather pursue a flawed study and learn nothing, happily, or restructure the thing and learn something useful from it, having taken one or two on the chin?

Also, perhaps you could reinstate the original post and title so this thread retains some value?

Thanks for completely killing the confidence of an amateur producer posting in the dedicated secection for newbies. Would it have killed you to be kind and constructive rather than tearing me to pieces?
I got completely shredded on my second posting here. Decided to not let that get in the way of trying to learn how to record and mix better. There’s always gonna be someone annoying, I’m not letting that determine my progress. I found if I kept trying it became easier to get the information I wanted.
Good luck

Thanks for completely killing the confidence of an amateur producer posting in the dedicated secection for newbies. Would it have killed you to be kind and constructive rather than tearing me to pieces?
I understand your frustration. It probably seems like you were attacked from all directions. But you weren't attacked at all.

Most, if not all, the "negative" comments weren't directed at you personally. I'm sure everyone here wishes you nothing but the best and lots of success. Most of the perceived negativity was directed at institutions and the education system in general.

Ironically, I totally stayed out of this thread because I wanted to watch how many of the people that offered up brutal honestly (who I'm defending) are the same people that don't hesitate to jump on other members and accuse them of "driving new members away" when they deliver the same kind of un-filtered truth. Irony? Hypocrisy? Hopefully some people learned a lesson that being helpful doesn't always involve telling people what they want to hear.

Good luck. I'm sure this experience will help you more than you realize right now.

Last edited:
I think we were just surprised you were given this to do my your staff? Talking just for me, but if I had been your staff member/supervisor, I'd have counselled you out of it, because it was clear that while we saw the huge problems with it, you didn't? You aren't even to blame here, because part of being a student is being allowed to get it wrong. The thing with being in any arts industry is that people will comment on you, and what you say and do? In fact we have critics, who can destroy people, even when nice. Every producer gets slated for their decisions, as do performers and even the consumers. On this forum we actually have folk who love genres of music others hate or just don;t understand - so you can get a country person commenting on rap, or death metal. They don't get it, but can still comment on what is in the music. I really don't understand rap at all, but I'm still learning. I hate it, but can comment on it. I think you just didn;t pick up on the undercurrent that's all. Can we put the title back? Deleted doesn't help anyone at all?

Kudos for at least coming back and commenting. As I said in my first response, we get a lot of one and done student posts.

I was really trying to be constructive in my comments. I took the time to take your questionnaire, and you did ASK for responses and feedback. Granted, some of the conversations got a bit sidetracked, and there were some very candid comments, but if you take the time to think about the comments in light of your questionnaire, you might end up with something that makes more sense for a university dissertation.

Try not to get offended. We've all been chastised at some point on some subject or post. In some cases, it can appear personal, but in this anonymous cyber world, that's the only way we have to judge someone. Read, learn, contribute.

What Rob A. said. My comments about the survey were not meant as a personal attack . . . it seemed pointless and unconstructive, and its important to get feedback on this kind of thing. I spent a lot of time in college (not for music) and I'm very familiar with badly implemented or conceived tests, surveys, quizzes and questions meant to evoke an opinion. I could have lied to buck up your spirit, but that's a really bad idea always.

He's not been back, so I've put the title back. One would think that if you're really interested in a topic, so much you posted it in a few online places, you'd keep checking back? Clearly he just wanted a quick response, submit the results and get back to partying on his student loan we all contribute to?

Back