Studio Monitors resonating(?) at lower frequencies

riqui.alves

My Edifier RT1600 TIII monitors seem to be resonating a lot at specific lower frequencies (for example, it happens when I play an A# on the 13th fret of my bass). First I thought it was only a room acoustic issue that could be fixed maybe with some bass traps at the corners, but when I took a closer look I noticed the bass speakers vibrate a lot more when they respond to those frequencies. I wonder what's causing this problem.

I’d guess a loose internal brace, or more likely the amp panel isn’t screwed down correctly. Pull the largest driver out and see if you can make anything move. In fairness while they’re pleasant listening speakers, they’re never going to give good results on bass guitar when it’s soloed or up in the mix.

go to YouTube and search for 20 - 20k tone sweep. This will reveal every rattle and buzz. Be prepared to not be happy.

That A# is not particularly low (117Hz, I'm guessing), those 4" woofers are not really capable of of real low notes. You may not be hearing lower tone rattles because the speakers just can't reproduce them, only the harmonics.

That A# is not particularly low (117Hz, I'm guessing), those 4" woofers are not really capable of of real low notes. You may not be hearing lower tone rattles because the speakers just can't reproduce them, only the harmonics.
I see. I bought those monitors after a friend recomended Edifier to me, but I think they're actually consumer-level monitors, is that it? I was thinking of maybe getting a pair of Yamaha HS5 monitors, what do you guys think? Would it make a big difference?

They're typical small speakers - ideal for occasional listening to music at lowish volumes. That's pretty much it. They're very cheap, and while good value for money - they're not the kind of speakers to make recording decisions on.

There's no doubt that the HS5's would be a big upgrade from the Edifiers. That being said.....it's VERY critical that you get your room environment as corrected as possible....or you may be chasing your tail for a long time.

Mick

There's no doubt that the HS5's would be a big upgrade from the Edifiers. That being said.....it's VERY critical that you get your room environment as corrected as possible....or you may be chasing your tail for a long time.

Mick
I've done some research and I actually noticed the HS5 are quite expensive for me... What you guys think of Presonus' studio monitors? The Presonus Eris E3.5 for example? Will it be a great upgrade?
And about the acoustic treatment, I'll be working on it over the next weeks!

I've done some research and I actually noticed the HS5 are quite expensive for me... What you guys think of Presonus' studio monitors? The Presonus Eris E3.5 for example? Will it be a great upgrade?
What kind of music are you mixing? Anything with woofers smaller than 5" won't have any low end. Those Eris E3.5's low end is claimed at 80-Hz, which is just below the low E on a guitar. Basically that means any lower music (bass, kick drum) you are only hearing the harmonics, not the true low note.

If the Yamaha's are too much................check into the JBL LSR 305 series. Lot's of us here have them and they're excellent bang for the buck and highly rated. You can usually find a deal on them. Used would be good too.

Mick

Back