Speaker cabs as sound absorption?

Sky Blue Lou

What do you think?

I am doing up an informal recording space in my new abode. I have a mess of 2 x 4 panels of rigid insulation from my old space but as I got to looking at the new space I realize that the wall behind my seating position is where I have all my amps arrayed. I count 15 10" or 12" speakers in all these cabs and I even have a few PA cabs I could put there. With all those sprung cones how many panels could I need? I could easily do the whole wall but I'm wondering why bother. If I put the PA speakers at the end (6 15" total) and stack the others a bit higher in the middle...

Crazy, legit...? Curious minds want to know.amp wall.jpg

Last edited:
Might offer some degree of sound absorption, but it makes one hell of a cool looking diffuser. 8-)

Is that a talk box how hidden away on the far right side?

Last edited:
... it makes one hell of a cool looking diffuser. 8-)

Is that a talk box how hidden away on the far right side?
Well the amps have to go somewhere... Yes that is a talk box so I actually do need some form of PA to hear it. I have options. My old space didn't have any of the band gear in it. This space has all of it.

Just for the thought. If you put old drivers in a false wall, and connected them up with a bridge rectifier - you might also be able to charge your phone battery?
Or. . . or. . . mount a wall of 15" speakers fed by your interface's monitor outs - then invert their phase to cancel your monitors :geek:

Back