Soundforge wont let me set channels correctly...

TheloniusMonk

Before I've even plugged in any input, the channels seems messed up...

I can press RECORD and then have the options to set the two channels to either Microsoft Sound Mapper, Microsoft Sound Mapper-Left, Microsoft Sound Mapper-Right. Here is what happens:

1. If I select MS Sound Mapper, channel 1 is -36 decibel, and channel 2 is -48 and channel 2 is jumping up and down slightly as if there were already an input device plugged in making some noise.

2. If I select MS Sound-Mapper-Left, it forces both channels to be left, and vice-versa with the MS Sound-Mapper Right.

I recorded using the MS-Sound Mapper Left option, to avoid the noisy channel, but I think I might have lost the stereo effect doing it this way, am I right?

What is going on here?

Thanks in advance...

TMonk

Further experimentation led me discover that if I try to use MS Sound Mapper-Right, nothing records at all... the right channel appears to be completely non-functional, even though it shows some noise activity on the input monitor..

So recording with just the MS Sound Mapper option leads to a full left channel, and a non-existant right channel..

you might want to get an interface or something. what is it you are trying to record? if its guitar, get something simple like a toneport - no latency and you definately won't run into the problems you are experiencing.

The problem is that cheap 40-cent built-in soundcard you're trying to use.
Some do not let you do stereo recording. I'm betting you're on a cheap laptop.

Still using a built-in soundcard?? Unfortunately, those are made with less than $1 worth of chips for beeps, boops and light gaming (not to mention cheapness for the manufacturer) and NOT quality music production.
#1 Rule of Recording: You MUST replace the built-in soundcard.
Here's a good guide and suggestions: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

Back