Sony Acid Pro 7 & Behringer XENYX 1832FX Mixer

floorpuncher

My God Has Horns
Does anyone know, first hand if the Behringer XENYX 1832FX Mixer is compatible with Acid Pro 7? I think the price for this piece of gear is amazing and everything that I've read on it says nothing but good things about it. If anyone has any feedback please let me know...

The short answer is "No, not really".
The Behringer XENYX 1832FX is a mixer.
If it's anything like my 1204 FX, it's an excellent mixer but the wrong tool for the job.
The USB device that comes with the mixer is really not adequate and a bit misleading to folks who are purchasing this board.
What you need is an Audio Interface.
Basically, that's another type of mixer which converts your analog signal to digital and would become your sound card.
Follow this link and learn about these devices.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Thanks for the reply. With my current setup I am using a Line 6 UX2 as my audio interface and an Oxygen61 MIDI controller (actually USB). I'm using Acid Pro 7 as my DAW. I am looking for a way to "mix" using something tangible instead of the virtual mixer in Acid. Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply. With my current setup I am using a Line 6 UX2 as my audio interface and an Oxygen61 MIDI controller (actually USB). I'm using Acid Pro 7 as my DAW. I am looking for a way to "mix" using something tangible instead of the virtual mixer in Acid. Any ideas?

Here's the deal.
Since you already have the UX2, which i think is a decent interface, you can simply plug the main output from the XENYX mixer into the Line input of the UX2.

What this will do.
It'll basically allow you to plug in your mics, keyboards, guitars, DI Boxes, and whatever else you'd like into your mixer, and the mixed output will go into Acid Pro 7 through the UX2. That means, if you record say a guitar and vocals simultaneously from mixer --> UX2 --> Acid Pro, and realise later that your guitar is too loud, you can't lower the guitar later in Acid. The only way out is to re-record by re-balancing your tracks accurately on the mixer.

What this will NOT do.
It will not let you use the mixer instead of the virtual mixer on Acid. This mixer is only your input source doing into your Line6 UX2. It has no control over what you do in Acid and vice versa. So you will still have to use the virtual mixer to change volumes of different tracks after recording.

As someone stated, the Behringer BCF2000 will help give you physical control of the virtual mixer you see on Acid. It has motorized faders that sync with the faders on your virtual mixer. Of course, it can also be used to control a zillion other parameters such as effects, pan, envelops, mute, solo, etc. Unfortunately, although it looks and feels like a mixer, it's merely a controller; i.e. it can't be used as an analog mixer, since it doesn't have any onboard, inputs, preamps, etc.

It'll basically allow you to plug in your mics, keyboards, guitars, DI Boxes, and whatever else you'd like into your mixer, and the mixed output will go into Acid Pro 7 through the UX2.

This sounds like the way to go to record live drums should I ever want/need to instead of doing drum tracks via Drumkit From Hell... I don't think it's ideal for mixing all of my tracks though. I think for the time being I am just going to stick with the virtual mixer in Acid and simple get a secondary LCD monitor to dedicate entirely to the mixer. I still may get the XENYX mixer to record live drums.

I appreciate the feedback...

This sounds like the way to go to record live drums should I ever want/need to instead of doing drum tracks via Drumkit From Hell... I don't think it's ideal for mixing all of my tracks though. I think for the time being I am just going to stick with the virtual mixer in Acid and simple get a secondary LCD monitor to dedicate entirely to the mixer. I still may get the XENYX mixer to record live drums.

I appreciate the feedback...

The ideal way to go for drums, depending on how details you want to get, may be to have an interface / mixer with multiple pre-amps (depending on how many you need) that can send the output of each mic onto a separate track on Acid. That way you can edit the sound that each mic captures, change the balance, add FX in parts on Acid. You can't do that if you record with a mixer - it's just 1 drum track you'll have on Acid to play around with.

Anyway, whether or not you're getting this mixer, you might want to consider the BCF2000. It'll do what you have in mind, and the motorized faders really give you the feeling of working on a digital mixer that's controlling ur DAW. I've seen it being used on Acid 5 and 6 (or 4 and 5, not sure), but not sure of how well it works with 7. Logically it should, but I'm just not absolutely sure. Should be worth checking out.

This is true... well tracking live drums is still a ways out. I don't have the room for it right now anyhow. What I've done is programmed the sliders on my M-Audio Oxygen 61 to work with Acid... this give me volume and pan controls on the first 8 tracks as well as the master and all my transport keys. It works pretty damn well.

Back