SONAR vs. ADAT vs. Synth constant Battle

mojoasis

I've got a two part question. I'm used to Pro Audio and recently upgraded to Sonar. I'd like to use my Sonar 7 Prod. Ed. to create synth strings or drum tracks using my Roland XP-30 as a sound generator and record via ADAT XT20.

Part 1: I can't figure out how to get Sonar (or Pro Audio) to access any sound banks or patches on the keyboard (other than generic midi sounds when the XP-30 is set to general midi mode). What am I doing wrong?
Part 2: can I transfer the ADAT information direct to Sonar for editing without re-recordeing? I've got a Soundblaster Audigy (first series) with optics and firewire (never used). is there a better interface?

Should I abandon Sonar?

....a million other questions????

I mainly use the built-in soft synths and am not familiar with the XP-30, so I can't help you there... I have sent midi from Sonar to my Roland TD7 drum brain with excellent results tho, So it should be possible for you to tap into the sounds you're looking for.

The Audigy doesn't do ADAT so you're not going to be able to bring in 8 tracks at once to mix in Sonar, but there are some affordable ADAT-capable solutions out there that will work for you... I just picked up an Echo Gina off Ebay for $70 and change...

Again, there are some world-class soft synths built right into Sonar, including Session Drummer 2 which is pretty awesome for making drum tracks, so if you get too frustrated trying to tap into your Roland, you might want to experiment with them for a bit before abandoning Sonar altogether...

Hope this helps!

:)

Back