Sonar 64bit

BenignVanilla

Is anyone using Sonar 64bit? I just got a new box, and upgraded myself to the 64bit world. Sonar is having all sorts of issues. Clicking and popping on tracks that never used to click or pop. Crashes, etc. My Tascam 1641 with 64bit drivers is useless, I can't get anything to record properly.

I am thinking about moving back to 32bit.

I am running 8.3, BTW.

BV

Is anyone using Sonar 64bit? I just got a new box, and upgraded myself to the 64bit world. Sonar is having all sorts of issues. Clicking and popping on tracks that never used to click or pop. Crashes, etc. My Tascam 1641 with 64bit drivers is useless, I can't get anything to record properly.

I am thinking about moving back to 32bit.

I am running 8.3, BTW.

BV

Have you tried posting up on the Cakewalk site?

I know 8.5 is meant to be running pretty stable on 64...plenty seem to be using 8.3 on 64 as well

sorry Im a 32bit kid....

I got a 64-bit machine and was dissapointed with the way 8.0 was running because rewire does not function at 64 bit. So Reason, Record and Drumcore were grayed out and not usable. When I upgraded to 8.5, the install gave me the option of running 64-bit or 32-bit. I chose 32-bit and am much happier because I can use rewire.

I have a question please for those of you who have used 64 bit recording:

Is it finally good enough so that a cymbal can be recorded properly?

There's a huge difference with every upgrade I've lived through. After each one comes out the salesmen will say you won't hear any difference if they go higher. I've concluded that we probably will go somewhere like 1024 bit before it's stupid to go any higher.

In 1989, a 3 MB RAM upgrade cost me $300 and that was considered hefty RAM!

I have a question please for those of you who have used 64 bit recording:

Is it finally good enough so that a cymbal can be recorded properly?

We're talking 64-bit as in computer architecture, not bit depth.

As for what you are saying though ... I don't think you can expect to see anything higher than 24-bit converters in the near future though as it really isn't necessary and exceeds the SNR of the sources (mics, preamps, etc) and analog front-ends to these converters, which negates any benefits of the increased dynamic range gained by a higher bit depth. Theoretically, 24-bit is approximately adequate enough to cover the entire dynamic range of human hearing.

An interesting side-note which I found out when reading up about oversampling a few months ago... many of the "24-bit converters" found in some of today's gear actually sample at 20-bit then take a 24-bit average of the surrounding samples when it is downsampled to the target sample rate.

But yea, 24-bit is here for good... for now :)

Last edited:
Back