Sonar 4 Pe Help!

HipHopPicasso1

:confused:If any one could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've been producing and sequencing on the roland fantom x6 for a couple of years now. I started out just recording audio straight in the fantom thru a mackie mixer and yatta yatta yatta. Any how, this summer I copped a computer that was already loaded with Sonar 4 PE and since then I have been using a Proteus Preamp to record the audio from the fantom. I got lazy and stopped tryin to track out each individual sound because of lining and matching issues. So needless to say, I've just been taking the whole sequenced track and playing it thru the pre amp, capturing the sound in sonar. This really kills the quality of the track because I want each sound to have a destination. Long story short, I just got a usb/midi attachment and want to sync the fantom up with sonar so that when i hit record in the program it triggers the keyboard and that way i can track out. PLEASE help with this issue!. I have read a few informative forums but none has really fixed my problem. Kudos to who can offer a suggestion:confused:

If you want audio in Sonar, you're going to have to solo each of the tracks in the sequenced tunes and record the output. If you play with the sequence you could direct the output of one track to the main L & R and another track to the Assignable L & R outs of the keyboard enabling you to record 2 of the sequenced tune's tracks at a time. The you're going to have to line up the audio tracks. drag them close to lined up as you can, then zoom in and 'nudge' (numeric keypad) the tracks for fine adjustment.

You might be able to make a sysex track in sonar that starts the keyboard playing, but that's probably more hassle than just recording and lining up.

If you want the midi data from the keyboard, connect the Fantom to your computer via USB. See if you can just grab all the sequences directly. If so, then import them into Sonar - it'll make a track for each midi channel.

If you can't just grab the midi data, then play the sequence, making sure the keyboard is sending the midi data that it's playing and record each channel.

Then to render the midi as audio you can play each midi track one at a time recording the output the keyboard - essentially the first step except here everything's lined up because the midi tracks are already lineed up in Sonar.

i want to sync the system with the keyboard and use the keyboard as a 'slave' and sonar a 'master' soo that when i hit record on the program, the keyboard's sequencer starts so that i can track out each 'track' without having to line them up. ya know?

I've seen it done and it's been done with MY keyboard...but at another studio and i'm not sure how to set it up

"i want to sync the system with the keyboard and use the keyboard as a 'slave' and sonar a 'master' soo that when i hit record on the program, the keyboard's sequencer starts so that i can track out each 'track' without having to line them up. ya know?

I've seen it done and it's been done with MY keyboard...but at another studio and i'm not sure how to set it up"........

1. plug midi out of your board into midi in of the of your midi device (whatever midi implementation SONAR is using/ what midi device your soundcard is using). don't run a midi in. this creates the "double note" echo phenomenon. turn the local control in your keyboard to off (usually found in utilitites)

2. engage "direct montoring" and record track in track properties, click the "midi" function on your toolbar (you'll find it next to the audio icon /internal computer icon tabs at the top of the toolbar if we're talking SONAR 4), then "record" in the transport.

3. once record is clicked, note the lower left hand of the screen say "waiting for midi input".....start your sequence in your keyboard, and sonar should start recording. play through the entire piece.

4. at this point, you have several options; first, plug "midi in" back; you'll have one big track of midi infor and you can.......

a) as stated earlier, open an audio track, mute the tracks you don't want from your keyboard, open and audio track in SONAR and record them one by one. OR.....

b) run CAL (found in "EDIT" drop down menu;); "split channel to tracks" and "split note to tracks" (for drums). this way you'll have the individual midi tracks/parts/notes in sonar, and you have more control over muting tracks (particularly useful with individual drum tracks).

c) with the individual tracks now in sonar, you just record the tracks per normal with the roland basically as a sound module.

5) note: you'll need to engage/click the "internal computer" tab to run SONAR as the master.

Back