Sm57 diy

CMolena

Hey guys! Hope you're all doing fine.

I had this broken SM57 for a while here at home and I decided to try and fix it. I found out that the problem was the diaphragm and that it was pretty hard to fix it and I might aswell just buy a new capsule.

Well, I'm saving money for a proper capsule, but as I do it, I decided to try something just for fun. I picked up one of those crappy airport headphones they give to you when you're in the plane and used one of its sides as a mic diaphragm. The way they work is basically the same, although I'm pretty aware that there is more than a coil and a magnet to the original 57 one. But surprisingly enough, I actually liked the sound of my DIY 57. Its dirty and lo-fi and it sounds like a really old mic, but I'm weird and I like those kind of things.

Problem is...all of a sudden it started making this noise. Like a bad grounding noise. But I'm not sure what it is. And I want you guys to listen to an audio and maybe see if you know what kind of noise this is and maybe give me something. Maybe I can fix it and keep this mic as a "alternative" mic to use wherever I want.

Thanks in advance for anything.

Playing: Mixdown.mp3 - picosong

Hard to say, some sort of muffled rattle/resonance, overload maybe.

Got one for ya. Hang a pair of headphones across a standup bass (strap and phones span the width at that recess on the body.
Sounds .. well unremarkable. Let's say a tad short of what I'd want to do again.

Back