Should I upgrade my audio interface?

liberty610

Hi guys,

I am currently having a hard time deciding whether or not I need to upgrade my audio interface. I was not planning on upgrading it, and I'm not sure if I should take the Sweetwater sales people as serious as they are making it out to be because I know the bay like to make sales.sales people as serious as they are making it out to be because I know the they like to make sales.

I am currently looking to upgrade my project studio with some new gear. My current audio interface is a line 6 ux8. I use it for guitar tracking, and live mic tracking (vocals, acoustic guitars, guitar cabs, ect).

I have the line 6 gearbox plugin assign to my ux8 which allows me to take on process guitar tracks that have been recorded and change their tones on the fly. So for recording guitars, this unit has a great deal of purpose for me.

the representatives that I talk to at Sweetwater told me that I should consider upgrading my audio interface. I am currently debating whether or not I should look into this more. The only reason why I think that I might want to, is for better microphone preamps.

Line 6 no longer makes the ux8, but they are still supporting it with driver updates. I am Not sure if I should be looking into a different interface with higher end preamps or not. I don't even know if they're interfaces out there that have better preamps, because the ones in the line 6 ux are pretty solid.

Should I look into upgrading?

Sounds like you're considering an upgrade for the sake of considering to me. You just said it's working good for you...why change that? Do you need some feature that you don't have?

My interfaces are fairly old (Aardvarks) and the company went out of business some years back...I feel I do not need a new interface, it's got everything I need in an interface. There's no support, no new drivers beyond Win XP even. Do I care? Nope, they still work great.

Back