Should I just get the SM58 instead of saving up for an SM7B?

Catapult

I make alternative music with a touch of hip hop flare.. but I also like to showcase my rapping ability at times.
I have $175 saved up. I was planning on getting the SM7B but the SM58 is used by Bono and Lana Del Ray.. both amazing vocal artists.
Will the difference between the quality of the two mics really be that much??

There are other variables that make any mic worthy. The most important is the performance going into the mic.

If you expect to get the sound a multi-million dollar studio achieves from a $100 mic, then you will be likely disappointed.

Much more important is what mic works for 'your' voice.

It depends on the sound you're after. The SM58 is designed as a live mic that can reject lots of stage wash and (with a big presence peak) cut through in a mix. The SM7B, on the other hand, will sound more "smooth and warm".

If you do live gigs and want one mic for everything then maybe the 58 is for you. If you want a warmer, more "studio" sound then maybe not.

Most of your favorite hiphop records were probably cut with the sm58.
It's an often underrated, yet huge component to "the sound" associated with hiphop vox

there is a definite quality difference (to my ears) with the sm7B, to me it sounds a bit better, but obviously it may not sound better with YOUR particular voice, it has more proximity effect and is a bit smoother in the high end maybe...

The sm58 can actually sound harsh on some voices, from my experience, but usually works well on most voices, you've got to bear in mind that lana del rey has access to some very high end pre-amps, consoles and outboard gear which most home studios just can't even get close to quality wise.

Back