Rode-NT USB registers mysterious low creaking

Hello. Just like in the title: Rode-NT USB registers mysterious low creaking noise that happens every few seconds. I bought a boom arm because I thought that it would solve this problem but the issue remains and drives me insane. I am very sensitive to noise, I've been listening to anything creaking for MONTHS now. I started using a chair that doesn't creak, new headphones that don't creak either when I move my head... and at this point I have no idea what else could it be. Ideas?
Oh, it also seems to creak MUCH more when I speak into it, it would seem.

Last edited:
We can’t really tell because there seems to be some kind of gate that cuts it off. Have you got some processing on it? We get tiny bits of it but they chop off before we get a chance to hear.

if you record without speaking, can you hear it then? How are you recording this? What’s the room like? Have you applied some kind of plugin or preset. If you could record a clip exactly as it comes into your DAW we might be able to identify it?

We can’t really tell because there seems to be some kind of gate that cuts it off. Have you got some processing on it? We get tiny bits of it but they chop off before we get a chance to hear.

if you record without speaking, can you hear it then? How are you recording this? What’s the room like? Have you applied some kind of plugin or preset. If you could record a clip exactly as it comes into your DAW we might be able to identify it?
I have long suspected Rob that some USB audio devices have a built in noise gate? If so, could be a problem but then, if OP can hear it?
Can we rule out tinnitus?

Dave.

Back