RME Fireface 800 or Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56

crimson_basser

Hello all, I have an interface question for you guys.
Ive been running a Presonus Firestudio Project for a few years and Im looking to upgrade,
specifically in preamp quality, conversion and performance as far as clocking, stability etc.

Ive basically narrowed down my choices to two units, the Fireface 800 and Liquid 56.
Ive read reviews of both, checked them out all over the web etc, I've done my research,
I know the features each offer. I know that RME is considered better overall, in terms of
conversion and preamp quality on paper.. but does it translate into real world results?

My questions are:

1. Do the preamps in these units compare?
(Important for right now)

2. Is the conversion quality in the RME really THAT much better than the Focusrite?

3. Is there any real difference in the speed and stability of each unit, or their drivers?
(Important for longevity of the unit, with future hardware upgrades)

The prices aren't too far off, but does the couple hundred more for the Fireface justify the
higher quality they boast? Would I really be getting a much better deal for the money?

If the RME is the clear winner in all of this, it does leave me with one issue. The number of mic preamps.
I've been using my 8 input Firestudio and really like being able to adequately mic a drum kit. With the RME
I would be limited to 4 pre's, meaning that I would have to get a few pre's to make up for it.
(Which would require a whole other thread to itself).

With that increased cost, does the Fireface still stand out as the clear winner?
Or am I better off with the Saffire 56, getting just as good results, with all my inputs in one.

Obviously, there will be an upgrade to everything at some point down the line. Outboard pre's, converters etc
are all on the list for the next yearish or so. So that does play into my choice as well. I want a fast and stable unit
that will last and be able to handle the upgrades, not just as far as connectivity, but something that wont jitter
or have lag-y software..

Help??!?

interface

Ive been running a Presonus Firestudio Project for a few years and Im looking to upgrade,
specifically in preamp quality, conversion and performance as far as clocking, stability etc.

Ive basically narrowed down my choices to two units, the Fireface 800 and Liquid 56.
Ive read reviews of both, checked them out all over the web etc, I've done my research,
I know the features each offer. I know that RME is considered better overall, in terms of
conversion and preamp quality on paper.. but does it translate into real world results?

My questions are:

2. Is the conversion quality in the RME really THAT much better than the Focusrite?

3. Is there any real difference in the speed and stability of each unit, or their drivers?

The prices aren't too far off, but does the couple hundred more for the Fireface justify the
higher quality they boast? Would I really be getting a much better deal for the money?

If the RME is the clear winner in all of this, it does leave me with one issue. The number of mic preamps.
I've been using my 8 input Firestudio and really like being able to adequately mic a drum kit. With the RME
I would be limited to 4 pre's, meaning that I would have to get a few pre's to make up for it.

With that increased cost, does the Fireface still stand out as the clear winner?
Or am I better off with the Saffire 56, getting just as good results, with all my inputs in one.

Obviously, there will be an upgrade to everything at some point down the line. Outboard pre's, converters etc
are all on the list for the next yearish or so. So that does play into my choice as well. I want a fast and stable unit
that will last and be able to handle the upgrades, not just as far as connectivity, but something that wont jitter
or have lag-y software..

Help??!?
i my self is looking into the same two interface also the Tc electronic Studio Konnekt 48 AND The MOTU 896mk3 and also comparing quality and price range i have a MOTU 828 MKII for a while and it sounds very good but i have been having problem with sound going out with my MBP for most people the RME sound quality is superior and is very stable but the price is much higher i recommend that you go in a store have the sales guys personally test them for you , or buy the RME and use the fire studio for your 8 pre and send them to the RME ADAT digital in (8 channels) or buy a less expensive interface and add a good pre amp to your setup also these guys over at Black lion audio are doing a very good job in modifying interfaces and make them sound really high end
MY advice if i have the money RME ALL THE WAY or black lion mod interface

I wish I could help you by knowing what the preamps from these two units sound like side X side. I will say my new RME babyface has excellent sounding preamps. Clear as water and balanced. It will lay bare the subtle differences in mics and let you know what you are feeding it- good or bad. It makes no apologies. I'm pleased as punch.

My questions are:

or have lag-y software..

Help??!?

The Fireface is a better piece of kit all around.

Man thats a tough one, Focusrite pre's in that series are crystal clear, I think it comes down to whether you'll need/hear the difference in the RME convertors.

I've read negative comments on the ff800 ' s preamps on another forum, but I liked them. I moved away from a computer based system. But The fireface never let me down. I bought it on Ebay for $800 and sold it on craigslist for $900.

Back