Riibbon Mics - Hi Performance - Low Cost

customcomp

New (package opened for obvious reasons) Apex Model 210 with modifications, main mod is CMI CM9888 transformer installed. This modification makes the Apex 210 ribbon mic have a much warmer richer sound similar to the vintage RCA model 44 microphones. Comes complete with carry case and microphone.

Product Review - Grant Avenue Studios - Recording Engineer:

Although I generally do not like the sound of ribbon microphones this one had qualities that I enjoyed. I usually find frequencies that I don't like such as 3000 Hz or what I consider "flu frequencies" in ribbon microphones. They seem to accentuate those frequencies in sound that I do not like. It really all comes down to personal taste. What I may not like sonically, other people love, and vice versa.

This particular microphone seemed to display less high harmonic distortion than other ribbon microphones that I've tried in the past. As an experiment, I tried it on a male singer whose voice projects a fair bit. The microphone itself could take a much greater impact than I was expecting and we ended up with a great vocal sound for that particular voice.
I am used to using vintage tube microphones as I really love that sound, so in this ribbon mic, I found the bottom end a little lacking (or somewhat emulated) but that is just because of what I'm used to. For the price point though, it is amazing.

Overall this microphone would be an excellent addition to anybody who is recording both on a professional scale and on a hobby basis . It has an excellent price point.

Contact rich at customcomp@cogeco.ca

Price $350.00 /ea

Back