Records in mono not stereo

timtimtim

When I record in Reaper the Right input channel won't record, and the Left channel records on both L and R. I have the inputs set to Input Stereo Input 1/Input 2. The input comes from an external sound unit which plugs into the desktop via a USB plug.

Last edited:
What are you recording? The normal means of doing recordings is to use two separate channels, and make sure you assign the proper input to the channel. Then you have full control over each channel and can pan/EQ/compess/whatever to the channels individually. It also makes it obvious that you are getting the proper input going to the desired channel. The only time I deal with stereo tracks is when I am dealing with a premixed track.

Not knowing your "external sound unit", it's hard to troubleshoot settings and determine where the error originates.

I am recording the stereo output of a synthesizer. This goes to the L and R inputs of the A/D converter in the sound unit, which is a Behringer UCA202 which worked perfectly well with the previous computer. The output of the Behringer is a USB plug which goes to the computer, just as it did to the old computer.

Are you using the ASIO4ALL driver or is it set as a Windows sound device. If you aren't using ASIO, then you need to check your windows sound device to make sure it's correctly configured. If it worked on the previous computer, check the settings on that computer and make sure you have duplicated them on the new one.

I would still set it as two individual tracks. It's a simple matter to link the two faders so that both react as if you had a single stereo track. Select the two tracks, go to Grouping, and group the volume controls, or any other controls you want.

I downloaded the ASIO4ALL driver but it has made no difference. Even when I use 2 tracks and set one to Input 1 and the other to Input 2, still the L channel comes through on both tracks and the R channel is nowhere. I'm not using the computer's own sound system. I can't check the old computer because I gave it to someone. But on the old computer when I checked the inputs in Reaper it said "USB Input" or something like that. Now it says "Input 1, Input 2." I don't know what this means?

Have you checked the cable you are using to go from synth to interface. What happens if you swap it around, i.e. right into left and vice versa?

Have you checked the cable you are using to go from synth to interface. What happens if you swap it around, i.e. right into left and vice versa?
It's always the same. The right input to the Behringer unit has no effect (well it does register at very low level i.e. 40 dB down) and the left input is at full volume on both channels and records at equal volume on both the L and the R Reaper channel, or to both Reaper tracks if switched that way.

I suspect the issue is in the settings in Windows - Settings - Sound Devices - Input. Check the Device Settings as well. (are you in Win 10 or 11?)

If Windows isn't sending stereo info to Reaper, then there's nothing Reaper can do to fix it.

It's always the same. The right input to the Behringer unit has no effect (well it does register at very low level i.e. 40 dB down) and the left input is at full volume on both channels and records at equal volume on both the L and the R Reaper channel, or to both Reaper tracks if switched that way.
Have you listened to your Synth into a Amp? Just to make sure your left and right outputs are putting out the same level.

I suspect the issue is in the settings in Windows - Settings - Sound Devices - Input. Check the Device Settings as well. (are you in Win 10 or 11?)

If Windows isn't sending stereo info to Reaper, then there's nothing Reaper can do to fix it.
This was the answer. The Windows input was set to 16-bit mono DVD quality. Now I've set it to 16-bit stereo DVD quality both channels appear in Reaper. Thanks to all who helped.

Back