Recommendation for vocal mic for male voice

MartinJohn123

Hey, I've got two clients coming up soon who will have a low vocal range.

I also had a client earlier in the year with a low vocal range and used a Rode NT2A. Only when I was mixing did I realise how it has a really poor frequency response for the lows and low mids. Excellent for female voices or higher register male voices, but very poor for singers with a Barry White register!

With that in mind, any recommendations for a good vocal mic that will cover that range well as well as the mids and highs? I'm looking for something in the £300-600 ($300-600) price range.

Are we really talking about bass-baritones or singers who can go very low, gently? I had one guy who was a trained bass operatic type, and found him very, very difficult to record. The usual bass capable mics - at that time I had a AKG D12 and 112s, and some small diaphragm condensers (451s) and none of them worked that well. I ended up using an Oktava 319 - one of the originals, and it was OK, but not really flattering - but much nicer than the others. I recorded a Barry White style singer and his voice was so much better - I didn't use the 319 on him but the 414 I'd bought and while it got the lows, there were also highs in the voice. The operatic type seems not to have much in the harmonics - which wasn't;t what I expected.

Your budget can just about get a couple of mics that would work - I've not yet found my 414 AKG lacking on bass sources, and you can get a 414XLS for your budget and also A Neumann 102 - the 414 has the alternative patterns of course, but the 102 could be worth buying from a 'send it back if you don't like it' source to see if you like it?

I have some nice mics, but we all have an SM57 which is a dynamic that can do most things justice, and I have found the 414 to be a similar condenser - as in it very rarely doesn't work.

I actually don't have an SM57. I keep forgetting to get one. Obviously I know how popular they are. Maybe that's the best cheaper option? I love the look of the Neumann 102, I've been recommended. I presume there's a big difference between that and an SM57?

A fairly wild one. It's very risky to buy a mic on somebodies recommendation because you may hate it? Shure 57s are bomb proof dynamics that do a pretty good job on most sound sources. However, there are much better mics out there if you want extended highs and a more 'natural' sound. It's a bit concerning you're buying mics without knowing this kind of stuff. Don't think I'm being awkward, but if you have a recording to do and don't have the basics in place, buying a mic is going to be tricky. It's like ordering curtains for your wife - you'll never get it right!

What do you have at the moment? Just the NT2? It really is NOT poor at the low end - what made you think it is - it's quite a flat mic, with a little presence peak, and I figured you made an informed comment - as in, I thought you meant it was slightly less up front, down low - but then your latest post kind of made me think you're not quite so advanced as I figured, so can we go back a step and work out what happened? Have you got a short clip of the problem you had with the NT2, before you spend anything.

Your budget can just about get a couple of mics that would work - I've not yet found my 414 AKG lacking on bass sources, and you can get a 414XLS for your budget and also A Neumann 102 - the 414 has the alternative patterns of course,
The AKG is a nice microphone. The 8 and omni modes were nice and strong. It was a Swiss army knife type. When my friends weren't ready for a Neumann yet and wanted more than a SM58. They settled in on this piece and loved it. I briefly had one in my locker, and I miss it.

The NT2 is nice one too. Not sure whats up there with the poor response in the bass.

I actually don't have an SM57. I keep forgetting to get one. Obviously I know how popular they are. Maybe that's the best cheaper option? I love the look of the Neumann 102, I've been recommended. I presume there's a big difference between that and an SM57?
I’ve done a mic shootout and included a 57 and 102. See if you can find it in the microphone forum.

Not really into recommending mics I don't own. Check out the budget microphone from MXL called the Revelation. A Multi-pattern LDC that can blend and do in between patterns. It has a MONSTER 1.25" diaphragm and has a -40 /V Pa sensitivity. WOW! I like the idea of going from a 1" LDC to a 1.25". Bigger should capture more bass. Like a SDC to a LDC.

They can be found B-Stock and sale at around $299.

Last edited:
I also had a client earlier in the year with a low vocal range and used a Rode NT2A. Only when I was mixing did I realise how it has a really poor frequency response for the lows and low mids.

You have something wrong in your signal chain if the Rode NT2A doesn't produce low midi and low Frequencies well. Or maybe your mic is set wrong,
What settings on the microphone did you have?

Back