REAPER record problem

euandreal

Hi,
I'm starting to record w/ REAPER and I'm noticing a little bit strech in the tracks. It looks like the program automatically changes the BPM to a lower one.
I don't know the right terms, but I'll try to explain w/ sound physics: if the program did what it is doing in a higher magnitude, I would be able to hear the pitch changing to a lower one.
Help me, please

Are you recording audio or midi? Midi can be quantised automatically or not - and that will shift time, but if it is paying back at 119 and you record at 120, something is wrong. If you are recording audio then usually any changes to tempo also change pitch? Is everything ok in the pitch department? Realistically you just need to do some tests - like playing with a stop watch and seeing if a 1:00 recording indicates 1:00 and plays back at 1:00. You need to identify where the error creeps in so you can fix it. Normally, no DAW does what you are describing, and to make them do it is quite hard? I don't get your magnitude example? Magnitude of what? You think the BMP is going down, and the pitch is too? That suggests sample rates are changing and you are recording audio? Recording at 48K and replaying at 44.1 does indeed change pitch and tempo - around a semi-tone or so.

The only thing that I can think of is that you have somehow changed the playback rate.
RIght! It's really easy to hit the playback rate slider and not realize it.

Any BPM change should be readily apparent since the number is right in the center of the screen.

Also easy to mess up the playback if you have the slider on screen and you use your scroll wheel to zoom in or out and you're accidentally hovering over your playback slider. I turn playback slider off for this very reason (I also never use playback speed adjustment... so).

Thank you all for the reply. I would like to know how to change the playback rate in Reaper and also how to turn off the playback slider.
Thank you again

The rate slider is right in the middle of the screen by default, just below the waveform section. If you double click on it, it will return to 1.0. You can also change the range that the slider effects.
Reaper Rate Slider.jpg

If you right click in that area, you will see an option to Show Playrate Control. Uncheck that and the playback rate control disappears.

Back