Ray Manzarek, May his contribution to Rock & Roll Never be Forgoten

Illsidgus

Desiccated Member
As I get older it seems that more and more of the rock legends and innovators that I grew up with are leaving us. Now in my 60s I know this is only going to accelerate.

Ray played the keyboard in a way that made one sit up and take notice. He gave the music that Robbie Krieger and Jim Morrison wrote that special Doors sound. He will be greatly missed.
Ray Manzarek.jpg

I like 7 or 8 Doors songs I guess.

But what I really appreciate Manzarek for is helming those first four X albums- the ones with Billy Zoom. Especially Wild Gift.
If you've never heard this amazing set of songs, do it NOW.

I like 7 or 8 Doors songs I guess.

But what I really appreciate Manzarek for is helming those first four X albums- the ones with Billy Zoom. Especially Wild Gift.
If you've never heard this amazing set of songs, do it NOW.

Mr. fat_fleet, I looked up X's "Wild Gift" on YT and found the whole album and listened to the whole thing. Thank you for the recommendation and the bit of the Manzarek legend that I was until now unaware of.

Mr. fat_fleet, I looked up X's "Wild Gift" on YT and found the whole album and listened to the whole thing. Thank you for the recommendation and the bit of the Manzarek legend that I was until now unaware of.

Hey man, I'm glad someone actually checked it out.. Yeah the first four of theirs are all great, but that Wild Gift is just so solid front to back- not a dud on it. The songs really open up with repeated listens too, but even hearing it once it's well worth the time.

Over the last couple of months, I've taped 4 or 5 programmes on the Doors { I watched one last night}. I've seen a few over the years and I've always liked hearing Manzarek talk {and John Densmore, whose autobiography is a great read}. He was articulate and enthusiastic and able to put things into a very interesting context.
He never really gets the credit he should, not just as an organist and colourist, but for holding down all those bass parts in a bassless {for the most part} band.

Back