Rackmount mixer?

janthemetal

i have a mackie onyx desk with 4 mic inputs (2 mono, 1 stereo) and 4 line inputs, but i want more mic inputs. so, i have decided the best way to do this (correct me it im wrong) would be to get a second mixer and link the outs to one of the line inputs on my desk.

trouble is, i cant decide what mixer to get. im thinking rackmount would be best, as desk space is in short supply. as are my finances, so something relatively cheap (but good) would be ideal. any recommendations? ideally i want 8 in/2 out

thanks!

Behringer makes several rack-mountable mixers at prices that are about 10% of those of the MixWizard units.

You will need to read the "fine print" on the descriptions of the Behringer units, as while they don't look like and may not be described in the "highlights" as rack-mountable, you will often find mention of "rack ears" in the fine print.

BTW: Depending upon which Mackie model you have and your studio configuration, you may be able to connect the second mixer to an effects return input on the Mackie and avoid "chewing up" one of the mic/line inputs on your Mackie...

Behringer makes several rack-mountable mixers at prices that are about 10% of those of the MixWizard units.
(the O.P.) said:
so something relatively cheap (but good) would be ideal.
Translated: I don't want a Behringer mixer.

I'm not even really in the "Behringer Basher" crowd -- Well, to some extent, sure. But I do give them credit where credit is due. However, I've tried their mixers. A&H are cheap as hell already, but sound pretty decent. Behringer are cheaper than cheaper than cheap as hell and sound like it. At least the ones I have any experience with...

While working national touring acts you never see Behringer asked for in the rider. In fact, it is, but on the page that list the equipment that is unacceptable.
There on the no-no list with about an other dozen manufacturers of sound gear.
So they really aren't the only ones that get all of the slack ... just the most famous of cheap gear. ;)

Linking two mixers is always a bit of a kludge. Frankly, if I were you I'd sell the Mackie and put the money into an Allen and Heath Mixwizard even if second hand. You'll be amazed at how much better sounding the mic pre's and EQ will be compared to the Mackie (and certainly the recommended Behringer).

The other thing you could try is, again, selling the Mackie and looking into second hand Yamaha 01V mixers which you can sometimes pick up cheaply. Getting into digital opens a whole new world of interface options and processor flexibility.

Bob

Back