Rack mixer recommendations

Chris F

I'm downsizing and getting rid of my old Soundcraft Spirit M12 and putting together a streamlined recording rig and desk/rack. I'd like a small rack mixer that can take care of the following functions:

- separate stereo channels for CD player, computer, keyboard, and recording interface if needed.
- Two mic channels for recording live into an Edirol R-09.
- might be used to patch TV audio through the monitors

I was looking at the Alesis multimix 9R, but couldn't find any reviews on it. For what I'm doing it would probably be good enough, as only serious audio recording would be going through a Firewire interface into Logic, and the mixer would only be for playback.

One thing that it would have to do to be useful to me would be to be able to send a line level signal out to the Edirol while the monitors were muted, and I would need to be able to control the level of this signal.

Any thoughts on this issue or this unit?

It's rare to see mic preamps in a rackmount line mixer. If you wanted to go the vintage route, I'd try running a Tascam MX-80 mic mixer into the buss inputs on a Fostex 2016 line mixer. That would give you 8 mic inputs and 16 line inputs. Both of these units are on Ebay right now.

The Alesis appears to have mic preamps, but they're not terribly important; I could run the two stereo mics through the interface and use it as a preamp as the pres are likely to be better than the Alesis pres. I don't really need that many inputs for my desk, but I would like to look at all of the available (unpowered) rack mixers that are worth looking at before buying.

The A&H MixWizard 20s is rack mountable and has 4 nice sounding mic inputs plus lots of stereo ins. It takes more RU than perhaps you want but it's a good professional bit of kit that works well and lasts forever.

For what it's worth, I've been using an Alesis MultiMix 12R for years and I'm very happy with it. Surprisingly versatile and having the linear faders is great. It's been a dependable workhorse as a way to route extra sources into my main mixing board and a place to submix tracks coming off my reel to reel. As I'm in the process of upgrading to a larger mixing desk I know that I will no longer have as strong a direct need for it but it's been so easy to use and so reliable it's not going to leave my rack.

It's not some vintage bit of kit to make people ooh and aah but at the end of the day, it's very quiet and does exactly what I need :)

Robert

Thanks SR71 - that's the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear. This is more for routing stuff from various sources through the monitors than anything else. The iPod dock will also be useful. It's not supposed to be an "ooh & ahh" kind of thing, it just needs to work and not be too noisy.

I have a Mackie LM-3204 I am thinking about selling if you are interested. It has two independent mic pres on the back that are quite clean. I have changed my workflow over the years and this is more mixer than I need for what I am using it for.

PM if you are intersted.

Back