Questions

dogooder

I see reaper now supports LINUX OS. I have an older gaming computer tower. I would like to do some midi on it. I have some old synths.I was told to just by a midi to USB and get a software package. What more would I need. Eventually I would like to use it with my HD24.

Reaper has been available on linux for many years now but last time I checked the main problem was with third party software.
The plugins and virtual instruments that you want to use may not be available.
I'm sure a quick google will tell you if that's going to be an issue.

They even build for arm. I remember testing out reaper on my, then, brand new Pi4 and, on the surface, it worked beautifully.

Reaper has been available on linux for many years now but last time I checked the main problem was with third party software.
The plugins and virtual instruments that you want to use may not be available.
I'm sure a quick google will tell you if that's going to be an issue.

They even build for arm. I remember testing out reaper on my, then, brand new Pi4 and, on the surface, it worked beautifully.
That doesn't answer my questions.

That doesn't answer my questions.
Perhaps not but it'd be a shame to set up a new linux environment with Reaper and get it all playing nice and then go awww duuuh none of the third party stuff I have works.
If that's not relevant to you that's fair enough but it seemed like a helpful thing to point out.

Perhaps not but it'd be a shame to set up a new linux environment with Reaper and get it all playing nice and then go awww duuuh none of the third party stuff I have works.
If that's not relevant to you that's fair enough but it seemed like a helpful thing to point out.
What third party "stuff" are you referring to? As I see it my synths should be all I need

Midi to USB should be fine. Reaper will recognise the midi device. You can then record the midi, doing any editing, and play back into your synths, again via midi.

I did this in 1999. Plugged my Alesis QS8 into an old MAC and voila. I just want to be able to do some more. I have and 02R digital mixer working in conjunction with the HD24 now which I use for everything else..I used Cakewalk for this. I stole a section of one of the chord progressions from "Nantucket Sleigh Ride". The main problem is I am not much of a keyboard player.

Last edited:
Back