Questions about Otari MX5050BQii

Jzoha18

Hello, I recently got my hands on an Otari MX5050BQii that is supposedly completely overhauled and is 100% ready to go and aligned and has full frequency heads. This is all well and good but I have a few questions about the best way to optimize this machine for my needs. My main issue is tape costs and I am thinking of running this machine at 7.5 IPS with plastic 7 inch reels. I have a few questions about this for people familiar with this machine. This is the 4 channel 1/4 inch version of the MX5050 for reference. I'll list my questions below
1. What type of tape formula were these machines biased for at the factory? Any modern equivalents?
2. My fostex uses LPR35 at 1.0 mil and I heard emtec specs that tape at a bias settings at 7.5 IPS, can the otari multitrack at good quality with this tape type and speed?
3.What is the deal with the XLR I/0s on this machine? Can standard XLR to RCA cables male and female work? I'm running a mixer at a -10db level but I also have a Mackie CR1604 I could use. I've heard this machine can be set for -10db as well.
4.How often would you degauss this machine when in use?

Attachments

• 919922-a629608a-otari-mx5050-bqii-4-tracks-open-reel.jpg
    919922-a629608a-otari-mx5050-bqii-4-tracks-open-reel.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1
Back