Question On Akai DPS16!! hooking up external fx

sondriven

Hey somebody help me!

Love the DPS16, but the manual bugs me. Could someone give me a step by step solution on how to hook up for example ( an korg guitar petal with regular input/outputs )to the akai via aux sends. For some reason i just cant figure it out! Thanx

john

sondriven - sorry i did not see this post until now

that manual is pretty rough:D

i will be happy to help you out, but if you could give me a little info it might save some time.

Is that pedal mono or stereo?

Are you trying to return the effected signal to a track to record it, or are you using it during mixdown?

Do you get a signal to the pedal?

Does the signal make it back to the recorder?

Here are a few things to try regardless.

1. Make sure the internal effect is turned off for the aux send you are using.

2. Make sure the MASTER aux send is set to 100

3. Make sure that the input(s) you are returning to is turned on.

Give me some more info and I will try and help;)

ffmada

BTW - I use my quadraverb during mixdown all the time:)

ffmada,

My korg effects unit is working properly.This is my first time hooking an external anything to a recorder, so thats why im confused on everything.

Okay...I hooked up a cable out of the aux send 1 and ran that into the input of the Korg. Then I run a cable from the output of the korg to one of the inputs on the DPS. (Im figuring its one of the inputs on the top of the unit.)

Now lets say I want to use my microphone with that external effect. Where do I put the input of the mic.

I could just record the this way microphone>external effect>to the akai input, but I get some noise out of the effect unit that way.

I hope this all clarifies my problem. Thanks for helping

sondriven

There are a couple of different ways to use your pedal on a mic.

What I would do is record the mic track dry and apply the effect later. To do this you would simply return the effect into one of the inputs on top and either send it to a track or strait to the stereo mix.

You could also get an insert cable and use the aux send as an insert(change send to insert on the channel page of mixer menu). The stereo end of the insert cable would plug in the aux out of the akai. The other end would have two mono TR connectors. One of these is the send and one is the return. You can figure it out by switching them around till you get a signal.

You would esentially be doing the same thing as returning it to an input, but you wouldn't use an input. If you use an insert I believe you can actually record the track with the effect on, if you want to.

If you are still stuck feel free to ask for more/different information.:)

ffmada,

You are the second person on this board to suggest that the aux send on the dps16 can be used as an send/return insert with a Y-cable. Have you actually gotten this to work? After reading your post, I tried this method without success. I can send and return the signal from the fx unit using the aux send and a regular line in, but the Y-insert method fails me. I notice that the specs page lists the auxes as stereo plugs, which suggests that they designed the unit with this in mind...

If you've gotten the Y-insert method to work, I wonder if you can post a step by step checklist. I believe I covered all of the obvious settings that you listed in your earlier response(internal fx off, master send/return levels, etc), but no go with a Y cable. I'm wondering if this may be a mixer feature that was only implemented in more recent versions of the OS, I'm still running V1.11...

Thanks,

Joel N.

sondriven,

You need a real insert cable. It will be trs on one end and the other end with the y will be marked tip (ts) and ring (ts). At least on Hosa insert cables. Tip is send and ring is return. Just a plain y cable won't work as an insert. When you use the aux sends on the back of the deck, they take over from the internal fx busses. So if you use aux send 1 on the back, fx buss 1 internal is no longer available, but you still use the settings here and set it to insert. Now take your insert cable and plug the trs end into the aux send 1 jack, on the y end put the tip in the input of your outboard gear and the ring in the output. That's it.

DPS16 rules. I'm still learning all the shit it can do. Way cool.

Boardman

boardman,

glad to see that you are enjoying your recorder;)

It is great to see another DPS16 user around too.;)

Have you tried inserting an external effect? I was just wondering because I have not tried, so I can't say if it actually works. I will try tonight just to see. I record almost everything using either my composer or RNC, so I have not had to compress anything already recorded as of yet. But I am sure I will eventually:D

peace

Boardman,

Your post was addressed to sondriven, but I was the last one in, talking about my problems getting the Y-insert working...so I'll jump back in. Ffmada was the one who suggested in the post before mine that the DPS auxes could be used as inserts, this method wasn't even on my radar, so I decided to try it with no luck.

RE: the type of cable, I am indeed using an official Hosa fx insert cable, with the Y ends marked 'tip' & 'ring'. I've covered the obvious bases I think -- turning off the internal FX corresponding to the send I'm using, and so on. Reading the aux return meters, I do not seems to be getting any signal back into the DPS. Like I said in my previous message, I've gotten the 2 cable (aux-->fx, fx-->input) configuration working succes.

I'll give it another try tonight before I turn in, but I wonder if this is something enabled in later revisions of the DPS software. Out of curiosity, what version of the software are you running? I would be really interested in hearing from anybody who has gotten this configuration running with V1.11, which is what I'm still running...

JN

JN,

Sorry about that. Got lost on who's turn it was. Yes I have used extenal fx's. However, I have all the upgrades and that could be it. My deck isn't set up that way right now, but the next time I set up external, I'll give you step by step if you haven't got it working by then. Good luck.

Boardman

Sorry about that. Got lost on who's turn it was. Yes I have used extenal fx's. However, I have all the upgrades and that could be it. My deck isn't set up that way right now, but the next time I set up external, I'll give you step by step if you haven't got it working by then. Good luck.

I need a step by step. Im still very new to the recording thing. Been only doing it for about a year. and only 5 months on the akai. Which Rocks!

sondriven

Back