Question about smoking cigarettes in next room over from equipment.

I've found peace of mind in using VIHO Supercharge, a smoke-free vaping alternative. It not only eliminates the risk of smoke-related damage to my equipment but also provides a safer and more enjoyable experience overall.

Last edited:
I live in an apartment and I have all my recording equipment and instruments set up in my bedroom (iMac, audio interface, electronic keyboard, dynamic and condenser mics, guitar amplifier, guitars, etc...). I'm a one night a week cigarette smoker, and the winters get very cold where I am. My bathroom is the next room over from my bedroom, several feet away. If I were to have some cigarettes one night a week in the bathroom with the window open and do my best to blow out the window, and have both the bathroom and bedroom doors closed, what do ya'll think the odds are that my equipment will degrade or get damaged from the smoke?? The only way for the smoke to travel to my bedroom from the bathroom would be through the cracks in both doors.
I've heard that cigarette smoke can damage electronics, so I thought I'd ask what everyone thinks.
Its not a big deal as people think, but over time, you have to clean the equipment. I bought used studio equipment from someone who smoked cigarettes and weed in their control room for 20 years. Some stuff I cleaned controls, but most of the smoke residue was on the boards that I just cleaned and put it back together. The advantage I saw was the cheaper price tag and had to buy a few cans of board wash to get the smell out. Live stuff gets more dirty, but that is because fog machines+cigarette smoke deposits all of the dust in the air on the electronics.

Microphones you should store in cases. I have mine in a chest of drawers, with the top two smaller drawers foam lined and cut out for microphones that didn't come in a storage box.

In the TV trade we would get sets in with the screen so smoke covered that you would think the CRT had "gone"!
There is a magic fluid called "Ambersil" which is a foaming, anti-static cleaner and works a treat on most surfaces. TV screens, plastics and Tolex but you can't get it into electronics because it is water based.

WD-40 will clean most things and do no harm but not everyone likes the smell. Meths is good but be careful with lettering and certain plastics.

The paint inside old radio dial glasses comes off if you just SPEAK to it harshly!

Dave.

Seriously,
Rob, I got a video idea for ...your next video. Do an artificial sweetener ultimate death match between, the Aphex Aural exciter, the BBE Sonic Maximizer, and the Dolby 361's 'encoding' effect. Show people how big of a difference these things can make to a track. How somehow they make it nicer. If you buy into the sound of that time period, they work fantastically IMO. Should be worth a video. See em in action LIVE.

The BBE is cell phone clarity tech adapted.
Aural (oral) Exciter adds frequencies not there before.
Dolby encoding is ' a touch of pure magic' .

Back