Question about Alesis HD24

WykedPT

Just got a HD24...It says you have to set the number of tracks you are going to use before recording. My question is what if you set it on 8 tracks and after recording those tracks need to add a cpl more. Can you add more tracks one at a time or are you locked in to only having the 8 tracks? Thanks

Yes - I set mine to 24 and left it. I think it's to do with the way it organises data on the drive for quick access - reserving, but no using the space. I think the downside was that it made defragmenting drives quite important when you started to fill them up because the empty space would make the available time counter misbehave. The drive wasn't full, but the continuous space was restricted.

Thanks for the replies......I have the manual,but it doesn't seem to explain it properly..The HD24 was delivered today so I'm messing with it now...

1. Create a new song with more tracks, using the same sample rate.

2. Follow this procedure to copy (NOT cut) the tracks:

3. Follow this procedure to paste the tracks into the new song:

Note that there's a limit to how much you can copy/paste at one time. For an 8 track song that is 9 minutes. If you need to move more than that you can copy fewer tracks in multiple passes. I do own an HD24, but I've never done any of this stuff. I just record live events and then dump the audio to a computer where it's vastly easier to deal with.

Just got a HD24...It says you have to set the number of tracks you are going to use before recording. My question is what if you set it on 8 tracks and after recording those tracks need to add a cpl more. Can you add more tracks one at a time or are you locked in to only having the 8 tracks? Thanks
Off topic slightly but I think that the HD24 is still in use as the ADAT format wheras the original ADAT SVHS is pretty much obscelete now. I have 2 of those in my rack but I might just persevere for no reason other than I am a bloody minded old fart! I think from what I have read that the HD24 still works very well with DAW so best of luck. I think for home recording then 8 tracks is fine and adding more tracks will just complicate the mix. Best to ask the experts here. Sorry

The only time I haven't set mine to 24 is if I am doing some kind of "experiment" and know I am just going to toss it.

Off topic slightly but I think that the HD24 is still in use as the ADAT format wheras the original ADAT SVHS is pretty much obscelete now. I have 2 of those in my rack but I might just persevere for no reason other than I am a bloody minded old fart! I think from what I have read that the HD24 still works very well with DAW so best of luck. I think for home recording then 8 tracks is fine and adding more tracks will just complicate the mix. Best to ask the experts here. Sorry
All the recordings I have made were done on the HD24 with all outboard equipment. I still use it all, no computers involved. You can check them out here if interested.

Back