Presonus PD-70?

Folkcafe

Anyone try this mic out. Watched a couple comparisons vs the SM7B where the opinion seems to be that it has similar characteristic's but not quite as bright. Looking at the response graph confirms this. Am I the only one considering this one here?

Yes the High end boost is quite noticeable compared to an SM7B. However, they did a good job taming the harshness which often comes with other microphones in this price range. I think if you're looking for a good broadcast mic and don't have the money for an SM7B, then this may be your best bet.

I have never found the SM7b to be bright in any way. Maybe I misunderstood? Typically I find it to be quite tame in the upper mids and usually give it a boob job from the preamp.

Same. Even with the switch engaged on the mic I'll still almost always be boosting the high end somewhere else.
I think it's why so many people dismiss it so quickly - It doesn't sound bright and clear, for most music vocals, without intervention.

I have never found the SM7b to be bright in any way. Maybe I misunderstood? Typically I find it to be quite tame in the upper mids and usually give it a boob job from the preamp.

Checks notes. Scrolls back a few hundred videos in my Youtube history. There was a mention of it not sounding as bright but that was compared to another microphone, so my misunderstanding. The impression wasn't that either was bright, just one not as bright. And turns out wasn't referring to the SM7B anyway. My mistake. I did screen capture both frequency responses and presumed the Presonus was smoothed out more than the SM7B measurement but the trajectories are somewhat similar at the top end with the presence switch on the SM7B engaged.

In response to MixMuffin (love the username). Broadcast mic? Just shopping to refill my collection with an eye for coloration and some similarities to what I cannot afford. Diet Coke budget, Champagne tastes.

I've got a lot more mics to ask about on that front. So more to come but still would like to hear from those who may have given this mic a once over.

Back