Presonus Eureka vs SPL Channel One?

I can tell you that I returned 2 Eureka units because I thought they were defective - before I found out that they just "sound that way." The preamp on its own isn't really bad -- All the other circuitry should just be bypassed IMO.

SPL isn't in the "can do no wrong" category, but certainly on another level entirely.

Wow that did you find was wrong with the sound? Mine sounds very smooth and clean and is extremely quiet! The compressor is also extremely smooth and great for leveling out takes! I haven't really tried the EQ yet as I like to try and sort the tone out with mic choice.

The SPL does look good but some people say both units are on a par!?

I've also read that changing the opamps can make a noticeable difference to the tone with the OPA627's improving frequency response and the LT1357 reducing noise even more!?

I thought it sounded like a cheap n' cheesy compressor and a cheap n' cheesy EQ circuit stuffed in a box with a "reasonable" sounding preamp. Which is (let's face it...) more or less what it is. I usually don't expect much performance from such units in that price range - That one came highly recommended at one point - and I needed a few outboard strips at the time - so I tried 'em and just really didn't care for them. Wound up using Toft's strips for a bit (now THERE's an EQ...) although I still wasn't a fan of the compressor (nice as it was, I do whatever I can to avoid compression at the input anyway).

Couldn't tell you on the op-amps, but I don't particularly remember noise being an issue.

Noise isn't a problem with the Eureka. It is actually a very quiet preamp and possibly the quietest I've used to date! Apparently the OPA 627 opamps make the preamp sound a little bigger!?

There is a HotRod mod for the Eureka which includes the transformer being upgraded to a Jensen and various other components inside which is meant to be a big improvement!?

I primarily record vocals at my place so I need a decent vocal preamp. What would you recommend around $1000?

The P-Solo does appear to be a nice preamp and it's one I've considered in the past.

I like the idea of having the control features of a channel strip so that I can make adjustments quickly in real time.

I have the opportunity of picking up a secondhand SPL Channel One for £400. It costs around £1000 new! It is also possible to add Lundahl input and output transformers at a later date to beef the sound up if necessary!

I could alternatively get my Eureka modded to the HotRod spec which would cost around £200 so for £300 in total I could have the Eureka HotRod.

I've read around 10 reviews of the Eureka and they all pretty much rave about it!? I've only found one review of the Channel One in Sound On Sound but it is a glowing review!

big plus for the Channel One

Great preamp, easy controls (I mean stupid easy!). VERY lush and warm sound (thanks to the tube). Haven't heard the Eureka.

Last edited:
Back